Author Topic: rh and hickory  (Read 2295 times)

Offline sailordad

rh and hickory
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:47:48 am »
well i glued this one up over the 4th of july holiday,hopefully going to be my hunting bow this year.its boo/hickory rd

i've got it to floor tiller now and was jst wondering if i should be putting it in the heat box when not working on it?

i live in ctrl mn, temps are averaging in the mid to upper 80's,rh has been pretty much between 45%-55%,somedays it gets higher depending on other atmospheric conditions.

i would really like to get this one to work and be a nice shooter, but like said, dont know if it needs to be put int the box overnight between sessions or not

as always any input is greatly appreciated

peace,
                                                                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: rh and hickory
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:48 am »
This is just my own opinion! I have tried doing this and it works well at first but in time the wood will find it's Rh balance for the climate you live in..And will be what it will be.So IMO start out with it good and dry and as you work on it just keep it out of the weather..Of curse this is just my findings with my own work.

David

DCM

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:27:14 am »
Hickory and boo have a reputation for taking up water quickly, and losing strenght and resilence as a result.  There are two schools of thought, at least, as David said.  One is to build the bow in the ambient conditions so it doesn't change if you don't or can't artificially dry it.  Other is to minimize moisture content during contruction and use, to get the most out of the material.  I would fall in the middle.  You will probably enjoy 15% to 20% lower average Rh during the winter hunting season in your area.  So I'd try to build it at around 40% Rh so when winter rolls around it won't be the 5# or more heavier in that environment than when you build it.  Also will help keep set to a minimum, which will rob performance for the life of the bow.  Downside is if you use it much in the summer, you'll want to try to keep the moisture content ireasonably low, inside of 50% anyway.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:51 am »
Never done a Boo /Hickory combo but have done a lot of Hickory and I would opt for the hot box or over an AC duct in between sessions. Of course the rh is always high here especially in the summer months.  :) Then seal the best I can when finished.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good