Author Topic: help please  (Read 3026 times)

Offline catfishon

help please
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:40 pm »
not sure what is best to do ? im pretty sure one limb is a bit stiffer than  the other but i hate to loose any more draw weight . i think it needs to bend some more near the handle on the right limb in the full draw pic ?  note the bow is flipped end for end in full and brace pics ... my bad , srry.
would the bow preform better if i leave it heavy or better at less draw weight and better tiller?
i think i have around 47# @ 24"  now,   and was hoping to get a 50# bow or more ?

thanks for any help
                                                    john f

Offline Dano

Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:51:07 pm »
The left limb looks a tad stiffer, if it was me I'd be shooting that bow. Hows the tiller measure? If the limb on the left was the bottom limb I'd bet you have about 1/4" positive tiller, that ain't too bad, just gotta see how it shoots.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:04:59 pm »
I'm with Dano, shoot it. If you really wanted to get back those 3 pounds you could heat treat the belly of the limbs.

Just a little FYI. If you notice the corner of the bridge on the left is lower than the right, but the nock on the right is lower.  This is because the left bends more close to the inner half and the right bends more on the outer half. Bending on the outer limb allows the leverage of the recurve to turn the tip down. It certainly isn't an issue with this bow but you can see how that would come into effect on string angle on a bow and how stacking can be avoided by changing tiller.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
In the bottom pic if the bottom limb is on the left you appear to have your positive tiller like Dano said. I think you are in good shape.

Offline catfishon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:47:05 pm »
i forgot to say i was hoping for atleast 50# @ 27 not  not the 24" i measured the weight at. thats as far as i can measure on the tree i made.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:17:19 pm »
You'll make it, start shootin it in, your going to loose a few pounds in sanding it for finish. So I would sand it to 150 grit and see how it looks till you get her to 27". Take your time, she looks great so far.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »
It looks good to me-I'd be slapping some sandpaper and varnish on that sucker.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:11:40 pm »
I would probably keep going a little if you have 3 more inches to pull.  If you don't check tiller at 27" you might wish you had. Sand it all down then use the sandpaper to make any tiller adjustments.  You can probably loose 3 more pounds between here and 27" and still come in at around 53#.  After it is shot in that will translate to 50-51# more than likely. I would work on the inner part of the right limb and the outside of the left just to get the string angles the same. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:18:36 pm »
  Chris Cade and I were discussing this at the camp-o-rama. He had his osage static with brush nocks and I noticed an arrow pass on opposite sides at both ends of the handle. He said when the bottom limb begins to stress too much he flips it over to relieve the tension. Made sense to me. Most of my statics take some set in the bottom limb.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC