Author Topic: storing bows  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Badger

storing bows
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
      I have a 55 gal plastic drum in my garage that I have used for storing bows. often I have noticed I will pull a bow out of the drum and when I string it up it will be out of tiller. I am pretty sure that the moisture level in the drum is higher than the limbs sticking out the top of the drum as they get more circulation. I have had close to 100 bows at a time in this drum. I feel like an idiot as it took me quite some time to figure this out. Just thought I would pass this on. Steve

gene roberts

Re: storing bows
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:55 pm »
That must stink....Did you make all of those bows???

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »
Gene, yes I make them all, I usually put bows in the drum that I intend to come back to later for any number of reasons. When it gets to full I select the ones that I want to keep and saw the rest of them up in my bandsaw or give them away at monthly gatherings.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:21:13 pm »
Steve I store bows the same way, not as many but enough to be a pain.  Especially when the strings get caught around other bows.  I saw something at MOJAM that I replicated for storing bows.  I took two pieces of rope, tied loops in them every foot, then hung them from rafters about three feet apart from each other.  I have thirteen bows in the set, some are doubled up but nothing is going to get scratched.  I'm going to make another one of these and hopefully that will hold all of my good bows.  The junk can continue to live in the garbage can.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:41:26 pm »
Steve, a few holes around the bottom of your barrel might alleviate the problem because it would allow for more air movement.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cromm

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:46:04 pm »
Hi,
If you hang them up all the weight will not be on the lower of the limbs. Rack them like a long gun.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
I remmber reading an article by Paul Comstock (I think) that advised against storing a bow standing up.....if I remember correctly, he advised, like Cromm said, to store it horizontally.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:23:57 pm »
Hmmm...I never have that problem.  After I spent all that effort making a bow, it always looks "perfect" to me after that.  Know what I mean? ;D ;)

I think Ishi said that if you leave a bow standing vertical for a long time, it gets "tired".....so he always laid his down flat.  (Anyone else remember this?)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:30:35 pm »
I stand all of mine in the corner of my bedroom or in the closet.  Its too hot and dry to leave them outside here.  I have most of my staves in the pantry.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 05:59:57 am »
I keep a bunch in a barrel also,but only ones that are roughed out or just floor tillered.I keep my finished bow in the house laying flat.Well at least most of them.The ones I don't I will take in for a few days or in the hot box before I use them. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:38:15 am »
This could make for an interesting bunch of pics, let's see everyone's pile and how they keep it. >:D O:)

DCM

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »
My hot box is an old metal cabinet, kinda like a clothes locker, with a heat lamp in the bottom on one side.  I stand bows up in it.  I occassionally swap ends for a day or so if I'm gonna be working one or shooting it.  Keeping wood bows dry is a pain in the buttocks.