Author Topic: I like this one BBI  (Read 3354 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
I like this one BBI
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:32:38 pm »
I finished it the other day just took the time to take pic's. It is a bamboo backed IPE handle is purple hart Osage and cocobolo. limb tip overlays are Osage Ipe and hickory.It came in at right at 55#@28" 62"ntn 1"wide at fades tapering to 3/8 at nock's.  After being shot in it holds 1" of reflex past handle. I like the performance and the feel of this design. I have been moving the point where the deflex stop's and the reflex starts around for a month now. Out of the last 5 I built this month I like this set up the most but I'm going to move the point of the R/D out toward the last third of the limb on the next one. Any and all feed back would be appreciated.

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll323/knight3169/BBI/

David

Offline FlintWalker

Re: I like this one BBI
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:57 pm »
Ohhh dats perty!  ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:42:55 pm »
Very good work.  I love the mild R/D profile, performs really well.  Choice of materials is impeccable.

Its hard to tell exactly, but it looks like your reflex is mostly happening in one spot at mid-limb.  Did you put your clamp there?  I'd suggest pre-tillering the belly slat a bit more, and/or use more clamps to really make the reflex sweeping and distributed along most of the outer limb.

Torges has you do this by pretapering the slat using a jointer.  I do some pretillering by just rasping the belly slat some, and I also use about three clamps to help create a nice sweeping reflex.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:20 pm »
Wow thats nice!  I love that handle :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
Very nice.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:51:44 pm »
Damn, son... that is a nice bow! Well done.

Offline knightd

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:40 am »
Thank's guy's . Ive cut the reflex curve that I'm going for into a piece of 2/4 I use it as a ramp on the ends.. That's how Ive been trying to do it. Always looking for improvement..I'm willing to try anything. but I'm not going to go to form's and air hoses. I want to keep it where it's easy to change the profile with out having to build a new form every experiment because I don't think I will ever settle on one design. ;D

David

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:48 am »
David,
Funny, I gots a really fast one that looks very similar ;D I think your curves look right on for that style bow.. You did real good! ;D

To make your glue-ups even easier here's how I have been doing it for many years..

I usually pre-tiller the belly much like I would a selfbow, and this will let the bow take a graceful curve when clamped up..I rarely use more than one clamp on each limb, and I set up each glue-up with a set of small blocks so I can change them with each bow if I wish..
By testing them before gluing up  you can see how the limbs are taking shape..It's real simple, and using tb3 a couple of innertube strips, and some string to tie the two pieces together before wrapping with the strips, you only need a few clamps for the shape..

Works great, and adding the bamboo usually doubles the poundage so this can give you a good idea, and is a little more evolved than trimming the slat in the jointer..although if yer making a hundred that'll probably do..

I did this demo at Mojam recently, and it was most enjoyable watching the folks eyes bug out on how simple it was. I also hit a dull scraper on a grinding wheel, and they really liked that trick too ;)

I hope this helps, and I hope to see you making a lot more of these bows!

Rich

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 07:44:08 am »
Nice job,beautiful bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline knightd

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:05:29 am »
Thank's Rick.. Thats pretty much the way I have been doing it. but I started using the ramp Idea because it helps avoid limb twist in the form..

David

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »
Very nice and bookmarked as a laminate bow for July BOM Fun
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline masticore

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:52:01 pm »
Really nice bow!
I'm working on a boo-backed massaranduba bow. I'm still floor tillering, so I would appreciate to get some more infos about the dimension of your bow. What is the thickness at the fades and tips? With how much of reflex did you start?

best regards,
masticore

Offline knightd

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:39:41 pm »
just out of the fades it is 3/8" tips are 1/4" I started with 1 3/4" of reflex.

David