Author Topic: dipping my feet in new water  (Read 2701 times)

jmace427

dipping my feet in new water
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:07:05 pm »
Hi all,  Im new to th pa scene I shoot longbow but want to make my own bow i would like something simple at 1st so any tips and pointers r welcome thanx to all

Offline Dano

Re: dipping my feet in new water
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:27 pm »
If I was starting over again, I'd get this book and read it a few times. "Hunting the Osage Bow"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:55:15 pm by Justin Snyder »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:55 pm »
Welcome! Tips and pointers are free here. ;D  Tell us what kind of wood you have available and we'll go from there ;)
 I also recommend The Traditional Bowyers Bibles.  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:48:30 pm »
My site may help you get started. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

radius

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:10 pm »
my advice is to spend a few hours browsing this site...there must be hundreds of bows posted and lots of how-to's...then when you decide what you want to make, you'll have a good idea what wood to use and how to go about it.

What kind of tools do you have?

Scott

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:00:21 am »
"Horsefeathers Ranch" has a lot of books. http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/archery.htm If I was starting over again I would do it just like I did.  Read Traditional Bowyers Bible volume 1 front to back. There is a ton of info here and please feel free to ask all the questions you want.  And read George's site.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:42:40 am »
Good advice above,and welcome you will feel at home here,Great bunch of folks that really love to help. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:24 am »
I'm where you are about 12 years ago.  Bought some books and wanted to make a bow but felt intimidated...at least by osage.  Maybe 8 years later I found a how-to to build a board bow.  That is also where George can help you!!

I built several boardbows from red oak, made several from elm staves.... then made the leap to osage and now it is my favorite.

Just wish I had found this site sooner.  Good for you that you did!! ;)

Welcome and don't plan on making just one ;D, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:16 pm »
I don't understand why everyone always tries to scare the new guy from osage.  I think it is an incredible starter wood.  It is fairly tough which makes it more forgiving of slight mess ups.  I read enough to be intimidated by it when I started.  My first selfbow (3rd bow) was osage and it was much easier/nicer to work with than I expected.  Just make sure you get a good stave. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:43:04 pm »
   I agree with you Justin, only thing about osage is that it has gotten incredibly expensive unless you have a source for it. I know when I was getting started my biggest challenge was that I had very little skill with hand tools. I was pretty good with power tools. I actually started just taking old branches and running rings on them. I had my first osage stave set around for a month before I touched it. I think my first 100 bows were probably board bows. Once I did a stave finaly I was hooked. I have to thank Jawge for my first successful unbacked bow. Once I found his web sight there was no looking back. Steve