Author Topic: Harvested a Black Locust  (Read 6804 times)

Offline bigcountry

Harvested a Black Locust
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:23 pm »
Ok, TBB says black locust is the teacher of tillering.  So lets see what mother nature can do with a very interested student.  Well at least next year.  I cut down a black locust today and got 6 staves out of it.  3 are straight and nice, and 3 have a curve in them.

I sealled the ends with rustoleum.  Should I remove the bark to seal the sapwood? 
Westminster, MD

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Harvested a Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:19:08 pm »
Big, I would definitely remove the bark and seal, but dont depend on rustoleum...tried it, didnt work well at all...bugs really like black locust, specially if ya leave the bark on. Spray it down good with insecticide. Cheapest way to seal is with genaric school glue..$.50 a bottle! :D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:22:14 pm »
I'd do as Brian says, alot of work but well worth the labor.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:36:49 pm »
Hey big country

I'm no expert either, far from it, but I have been a wood carver for many years. One of the best and cheapest woodsealers I know of and have used faithfully is parafin wax, melt it apply it to the end grain and forget about it

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
Big, I would definitely remove the bark and seal, but dont depend on rustoleum...tried it, didnt work well at all...bugs really like black locust, specially if ya leave the bark on. Spray it down good with insecticide. Cheapest way to seal is with genaric school glue..$.50 a bottle! :D....Brian

Like elmers?
Westminster, MD

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
Got pictures of the tree/staves? I love raw materials :). I've tried shellac to seal the backs of a lot of staves - didn't have any luck, paraffin sounds likely. Cheap regular white glue of any sort works wonders.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:36:30 pm »
Elmers is a white glue. Just ask your wife for some if she does any canning. Just kidding, but that is the stuff you use. Go to any store that has canning supplies, like mason jars etc. and you will be able to buy parafin wax. It comes in a box in four slabs, just melt one of them and dip the end of the stave in the wax and your done.

Good luck
                                          Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:00:25 pm »
Got pictures of the tree/staves? I love raw materials :). I've tried shellac to seal the backs of a lot of staves - didn't have any luck, paraffin sounds likely. Cheap regular white glue of any sort works wonders.

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
Guys, think these are firewood?  Figured I could give them away to people who are gifted enough to tiller something like this, or cut to 60"
Westminster, MD

Minuteman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:23:49 pm »
Wow. I'd try a better beginner's wood if it were me. :o I've let BL season for a year or more and then chased a ring. Hurt myself doin it too. Its some kinda tough lemme tell ya. >:(
 Theres nothing wrong with a 60" bow.It'll probably wanna bend through the handle. I quit cutting locust, I found it to be much harder to tiller and much less able to handle my poor tillering abilities. :-[ Besides its harder than hickory, hard to work. My .02$

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 09:28:11 pm »
Wow. I'd try a better beginner's wood if it were me. :o I've let BL season for a year or more and then chased a ring. Hurt myself doin it too. Its some kinda tough lemme tell ya. >:(
 Theres nothing wrong with a 60" bow.It'll probably wanna bend through the handle. I quit cutting locust, I found it to be much harder to tiller and much less able to handle my poor tillering abilities. :-[ Besides its harder than hickory, hard to work. My .02$

Well price was right.  Only a few gallons of sweat.
Westminster, MD

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 09:38:27 pm »
im looking to cut some locust in a couple weeks. so im followin allong and takin notes...

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:13 pm »
  well ifn you want to get  rid of those,i'll take the one thats 4th from the left, is it about 2x4x66?

p.m. some details and i will pay for shipping ifn the size is right ;D 8)

i,ve been wanting to try b.l.,heck im just about tempted to cut the neighbors tree down to try it lol >:D
                                      peace,
                                             tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:11:45 pm »
Whalp, them are pretty knarly ;D - the second picture i mean. From my meager experience with bl it works fairly easy - I've mostly worked with osage and hic. It steam bends really easy too. Now that I know what to look for I've spotted some groves down here - I'll be cuttin some before it's over :). Thanks for the pics..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 11:03:22 pm »
Yes, BL is a fine teacher. Go a little wider and a lot longer.  60 inches for  what draw? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!