Author Topic: IPE/Boo Backed  (Read 2686 times)

Offline bigcountry

IPE/Boo Backed
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:39 pm »
A guy I talk too regularly on another site had a build along for a IPE/Boo bow.  Looked like some cool wood to work with.  Real narrow bow. 

Is it true, that I can just get boards or IPE planks and cut them down?  Does my IPE have to be perfect with the grain?  I figured a backed bow, it just is being used for compression.  The boo would be the tension work. 
Westminster, MD

Offline DirtyDan

Re: IPE/Boo Backed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:53:07 pm »
Yep, Ipe is sold as a decking material.  It usually comes as 5/4 rounded edge four or six inch wide planks.  You do not have to worry about grain too much--the stuff is like iron.  In fact, you won't believe how thin you have to get it to even draw it.  It makes a great bow backed with bamboo.  It is a perfect combination.  Glue on a fancy handle and it will make a great shooting beautiful bow.  The contrast between the chocolate brown of the Ipe and the blond bamboo is striking.

Dan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:25 pm »
Yep, Ipe is sold as a decking material.  It usually comes as 5/4 rounded edge four or six inch wide planks.  You do not have to worry about grain too much--the stuff is like iron.  In fact, you won't believe how thin you have to get it to even draw it.  It makes a great bow backed with bamboo.  It is a perfect combination.  Glue on a fancy handle and it will make a great shooting beautiful bow.  The contrast between the chocolate brown of the Ipe and the blond bamboo is striking.

Dan
;) absolutely
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:26 pm »
 ;D Some of us here have made hundreds of these bows over the last 12 years or so...

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:50 pm »
That settles it, I want to make one. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:26:10 am »
Hickory also makes a good backing for ipe and the process of preping it and applying it is a bit simpler, especially if you are new to backing bows.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:50:36 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I was wondering about getting the bamboo's width just right along with the taper.  I guess you wouldn't want to whittle off the sides of the bamboo, was thinking this would be an issue I would have to look into.  But with hickory, wouldn't be an issue.

As far as tension, is boo alot better than hickory or viseversa?
Westminster, MD

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:52:33 pm »
 Big country,It depends on the thickness of the bamboo or hickory you use, also you can remove, or "trap" the sides of bamboo as well.  I have been doing this for years without problems..They both work great from my experience..

The bow Manny has sitting on the hog is made from  thick 3/16th's+ bamboo  and trapped  trapped from the sides..TB4 has a photo of one of my tri-lams with the same basic section on it.. This particular bow is 8 years old.

Rich