Author Topic: Board Bows  (Read 2466 times)

Offline agd68

Board Bows
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:31:01 pm »
Hey All, I've read contridicting info on using kiln dried lumber to make a bow. If you backed it would it be any good. You opinions please. By the way, what is a character bow?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

radius

Re: Board Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:58:47 pm »
dude, go ahead and use kiln dried lumber:  it's perfect.  Hard to find ANY topic at all, in the whole world, which does not have contradicting opinions/ideas.  Kiln dried wood is just wood. 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:49:18 pm »
a character bow would be a bow that curves side to side and back in the limbs,and or have dips and rises (back to belly) in the limbs.
in other words, a character bbow comes from a stave that had "character" or in even other words a bow that was made from a funky looking stave

atleast thats what ive seen on here
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:53 am »
Kiln drying is just a controlled quick drying technique to prevent checking and twisting. Once the lumber sits in your shop it will acclimatize to your R/H then its is just like any other. The board will determine whether it needs backing or not. Backing makes not so good wood more suitable for bow making. There are many backing materials that run the range from brown paper grocery bag to silk or linen to hickory, maple, elm and bamboo. Let the need decide the backing. If you are just trying to help a perfect board, brown paper, silk or linen will do the job. If you are looking for more get-up and go, the wood and boo backings are what you want but be sure to match the backing to the belly.
  Most bows are made from relatively straight, knot free wood. Any deviation from that would be considered "character". Twists, knots, hoop-te-doos and snakes all add character to a bow.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:04:45 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. Pat what did you mean by match the backing to the belly regarding wooden backing materials?
Happiness is..

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:22:47 pm »
I love this site,so much info. What is an ambush bow?
Happiness is..