Author Topic: fastest selfbow?  (Read 57584 times)

Offline Karl-Heinz

Re: fastest selfbow?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:30 am »
My gosh, you guys got to be kidding me.   190fps-200fps regulary with 10gr/#.  That can be tough for lam/glass bows.

I would love to see one.  Very impressive.

Well life is not that easy, thats why I am building selfbows.

K-H

Offline windling

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 03:52:49 am »
and to heat up tempers a little bit i awarded a prize of a bottle of finest glenfarclas for the worthy winner  ;D
but i think only few do have a real chance to be drinking it (and all of those will share a dram with me ::)).
´tiller then
quod me nutrit me destruit

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 05:17:10 am »
Thanks Mimms for saying that, I've being cringing at the whatever plus the bow weigth with 10gr per pound thing for awile now, just didn't want to mention it.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline kra

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 05:39:09 am »
@Badger, can you give a description of you shooting machine?
I'm interested in one for myself for testing my bows. With ~500gr arrow I hit the 190 with my BBO and it would be interesting to have more reliable  ??? testconditions.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 07:33:47 am »
Not to stir the pot but wasn't it the emphasis on speed that led the developement of compounds?

Ok maybe I did stir the pot ;) I respect everyones right to pursue their own goals in bow building
and one should strive to make a well designed efficient bow. If speed is your goal great, but for some of us
a good durable bow that shoots smooth with suffienct power to hunt with is all we need :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 07:47:48 am »
Very interesting stuff and I do try to make them as efficient as I can but I guess I am with Dana.
Speed ant my main objective. It is cool for those that want to pursue it and show that a self bow can stand up proud with backed bow and even a lot of glass bows with about the same arrow
weight.Reading this stuff has given me some good ideas over the years on how with out to much extra figuring and work to make a more efficient selfbow.Thanks for that.I guess I go by the 100 +
draw weight and am satisfied with that.Good thread.  :) If it will get into a deers lungs then I am
happy with it. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:19 am »
Not to stir the pot but wasn't it the emphasis on speed that led the developement of compounds?

Ok maybe I did stir the pot  ;)
Isn't that what you do for a job?  ;)
Like Pappy said, its about getting efficient.  And some like to get as close to efficient as possible.  I have had several guys shoot my longbows and see how "fast" they are and say they will hunt with one. Before they always thought they would be slow so they refused to try one.  If you can show them that a very efficient hunting bow can be made from wood and that plenty of speed can be had you might win over a few more.  Besides, its not just about building the fastest bow. Sometimes it is about building the shortest bow that will pull to 28". I like to push myself, its how I improve. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline kra

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:08 am »
See it as a game or a hunt for knowledge or something like this. Playground for old boys  ;D.

But remember, as mankind tried to reach the moon, some archer try to reach the 200fps with a selfbos.

For me it does not mean, that I will shoot a selfbow of 200+ fps under any circumstances.
I will shoot the fastest of my bows, which I can handle properly  ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 10:50:11 am »
What about draw lenght? Do you all use a standardized length for these impressive numbers. My 25" draw length lets me achieve 100fps+ poundage on my bows but that's about it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 10:56:10 am »
That is where I am Eric. :) I don't know how much, but draw effects the speed and power a lot.
I shot with guys that draw 50@ 28 and I am shooting 50@25 and you can see the difference
and tell the difference when you pull the arrows from the target.I am been working on my form ,trying to get a little more and am up to about 26 and that will be about it for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:58 am »
Ya I think yer done growing Pappy ;) ;D

I'm in the same boat pull 26" on a good day :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 11:29:54 am »
It turns out with natural materials you can't achieve the big speed numbers without the other desirable stuff, like low shock, noise and longevity you want for a "hunting" bow.  Once you exceed the elastic limits of the material the bow is in effect toting around limb mass which doesn't store energy.  The wood is already crushed.  Bad mojo for efficiency.  On the other extreme, regardless of the context, if you leave too much wood working you have shock and noise.  So, aside from ones that store lots of energy, like Marcs bows with 5" or more of net reflex or recurve, horn bows or horse bows, and even these one could argue, "fast" bows are not really a great deal different than a "hunting" bow.  It's a misconception to assume folks who concentrate on speed aren't interested in the other attributes.  Rather they tend to satisfy the fundamental stuff first, and then go after speed as well.  At least that's what I do.  

It's not a sin to go for speed, that's our purpose ultimately.  I have a hard time understanding where people are coming from, not necessarily in this thread, who say it's not important or not "traditional" or whatever and seem to have a real chip on their shoulders about it sometimes.  If I can have, and I think I can, a bow that is quiet, no handshock, lasts practically forever and fast I'll take it over quiet, no handshock, lasts forever and slow.  Just seems logical to me.  

Subject seems to come up no FastFlight versus Dacron threads a lot.  Folks act like an extra 6, 7, 8 fps, all else being equal, doesn't matter.  Seems like leaving perfectly good chicken on the bone to me, so to speak.  Same with bowyering, chances are the 3, 4 fps left on the table can come off the outer limb width and the bow would never miss it, would not even change the tiller in a lot of cases.  But I draw the line at tiny little out limbs, maybe 7/16" being about as little as I care to go.  Dang things just look too fragile when you get down to 5/16".  Another overlooked aspect is how you treat the wood during the construction process.  By simply working the wood less, more carefully, I believe you can pick up 3, 4 fps in the finished bow, for the life of the bow, and that's leaving the design exactly the same.  Then there is the more obvious stuff like moisture control, etc.  It will sound like we're obsessing over insignificant things, but 3 or 4 fps scattered over 3 or 4 different opportunities and pretty soon you are talking 12 to 16 fps cumulative difference.  That equates to 12# to 15# difference in draw weight, or 2" to 3" of draw length (having read Pappy's post).  Not insignificant by my reckoning.

Maybe it's just a personality thing.  If it goes, no matter if a pickup truck, lawn mower or a bow-n-arra, I want it to go faster, stronger, better!  LOL

Eric folks use 6" brace, 28" draw generally, although the brace height is where some fudging is going on.  In extreme cases, Tim Baker's bows at the first MoJam for example as I understand it, going down as low as 4".  But I don't think that is necessarily typical.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:33:20 am by DCM »

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 11:42:02 am »
David I agree about low shock and noise going along with speed, but I think there is less correlation with longevity.  I would contend that bows stressed to near the elastic limit are going to deteriorate more quickly.  Being within 5% of the elastic limit, is going to change the wood faster than being within 10%.  I think the flight bow people know this and act accordingly.  I know that staying anywhere under the elastic limit ought to keep you safe, but all wood fatigues with use so that elastic limit is constantly shifting.  The shift is dependent on the amount of use the bow gets, as well as the conditions it finds itself in.  A hot humid day probably shifts that limit downward a bit, a mild dry day shifts it upward.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »
My gosh, you guys got to be kidding me.   190fps-200fps regulary with 10gr/#.  That can be tough for lam/glass bows.

I would love to see one.  Very impressive.

Well life is not that easy, thats why I am building selfbows.

K-H

Hmm, not following you.  This is basically a selfbow page. ???
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:59 pm »

Ok maybe I did stir the pot ;) I respect everyones right to pursue their own goals in bow building
and one should strive to make a well designed efficient bow. If speed is your goal great, but for some of us
a good durable bow that shoots smooth with suffienct power to hunt with is all we need :)

Yea but what about when your like me, and have bows shooting way slower than molassas?  ;D

But my first osage I was worried about breaking, so I made the limbs 1.75" and made it 67" for a 55lb bow.  Figured I didn't want my first breaking easy.   I know thats alot of mass and overkill.
Westminster, MD