Author Topic: selfbow  (Read 11581 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
selfbow
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:54 pm »
hey guys heres a  holm bow i  mades for a fellow, hope that he likes it.........tell me what you think.....yew,65#@28"..........robustus

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Badger

Re: selfbow
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:32 pm »
   Great job on that one, you even have the outer limbs bending a tad. I bet she is as fast as she looks. Steve

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:57 pm »
She came out real nice James. 8)  Like Badger, I see you have the outer limbs bending also. I believe that to be the correct tiller for a Holmgaard bow. The tiller is an arc like the ELBs.  I'd bet she is quick.   Will you bring her along this weekend?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
wow, look at those tips.  how wide are they?  great looking bow.  unusual tiller for a holmi, but i like it.

i'm with badger on the speed.  she's got to be fast.

pat, we posted simultaneously.  don't you think the tips were stiff on the later holmegaard bows and acted merely as levers?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:24 pm »
That's a real beauty. Bet it's just a joy to shoot, as well as quick. How long is it?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:02:46 pm »
Marius, The article Hillery Greenland did for PA about her Holmy said that the tips do bend a bit at full draw. The small diameter(ie. less weight) with a bit of bend at full draw would add bunches to the speed.     Pat

ps. everybody is stepping on each others toes with this bow. Lets see what Kegan has to say.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:09:29 pm »
Nicely done James.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:22:23 pm »
Awesome bow.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:31 pm »
Good looking one James he better like it

Ron

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »
It's my understanding, and application, that the narrowed outer limbs on a Holmegaard bow are to act as levers, and therefore should not bend. However, there is controversy in this regard, and many interpretations, like this one, exist. A very nice bow, and I bet it's cast is very good.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:06:32 pm »
thanks guys...i think i may bend just a tad more than it should  in the upper part of the limbs ,but i think it is due to the fact that it is yew,if any of you have worked this wood you know how rubbery it can be when you flex it,i kept the tips down to the minimum that the wood would take without whip ending the bow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:17:47 pm »
Nice bow James.  I like the bend in the limbs. Most of the holmies you see have 6" of working limb.  They don't even use all of the wide part of the limb. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Cromm

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
Hi,Very nice work!!!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:26 pm »
Ya that looks real good! ;D

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22:20 pm »
thanks justin i actually do a reverse tiller on all holm bows i build its a lot easier than a normal tiller technique it just takes a bit longer to complete