Author Topic: Hemlock  (Read 6202 times)

Offline venisonburger

Hemlock
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:31:07 pm »
I know hemlock is a soft wood, but after reading about sumac, tamarack, cedar and even pine, where would Upper michigan hemlock fall into the equation? I have a nice 6 foot hemlock thats drying, it is straight and had few branches on it. I plan on making it wide and backing with something. I haven't split it yet, but I think I'll split in half to start the drying process, I'm thinking if I split into staves right away, it will twist or develop cracks.
Now, does this wood have sap wood and heart wood? should I leave the sap wood on like people do on cedar?
Any one with info please give me some advice, either way I'm going to experiment with this wood but I'll take any advice I can get.
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hemlock
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:39:11 am »
I don't know if hemlock will make a bow. Like other conifers the upper side of a limb would probably your best choice. All of our hemlocks are dying out due to the Hemlock Wholly Adelgid, another invasive exotic pest.  >:(  I hate to see all those trees go to waste although nothing goes to waste in nature.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:41:07 pm »
VB, hemlock is really, really brittle wood, more so than most softwoods. I've always threatened to try one, but never have so far. If I were going to, I would make it long, and probably use a sapwood/heartwood mix like on a yew bow. I know that just from using hemlock wood for other things that when it breaks, it goes dramatically and explosively. The wood looks kinda like yew.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:32 pm »
Hemlock is one of my favorite general purposes woods because it is so millable. But It surely is too soft a wood to be used as a bow.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:23:29 am »
Thanks for your input everyone.
VB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:23 am »
Try it anyway VB, I have a sumac bow and I always heard it was useless. Might want to wear a helmet, goggles and a cup though ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:41 pm »
Yeah Dana, might as well, the wood is cut, it is from a tree that was taken down by another in a storm. I'll wear my bike helmet, but a cup? I don't even drink coffee
This weekend I'll split it in half so it can start drying.
VB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:33:22 am »
The other kind of cup Mark, ya know goes below the belt ::) ::) ;D

Only suggestion I can make is keep it long and maybe back it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Staver

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:34 pm »
I usually use a very long cup and back it with rawhide!! :o  Sorry... couldn't resist  ;D  Joe H