Author Topic: Bow design and length  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Bow design and length
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:22 am »
I have noticed a lot of R/D bows lately.  I have on occasion seen a few that were long enough to make a reflexed bow of the same weight.  How does the R/D bow perform at the longer weights?  I always thought the R/D was to help relieve some of the stress at full draw. In these longer bows you don't have to worry about the stress so much.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Bow design and length
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »
No matter how long the bow is Deflex reflex profile takes a lot of stress off of the bow at braced and full draw over a straight reflexed bow. Really long bows with just reflex and no deflex are less stable as well.  Your right in saying its not necessary in a really long bow but I don't think it hurts anything performance wise if the design isn't over built for the draw length/weight it was intended for...... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:24:15 pm »
  Good topic Justin. I think most of our answers will be at least bordering on theory. I suspect that in real long bows or even moderately long bows they will tend to loose efficiency due to vibration in the limbs even though they can still store sufficient energy. A very heavy draw weight elb can remain pretty efficient because the limbs are thick and relatively narrow. Deeper cross sections vibrate less. I think the key to any good design is both high energy storage and low vibration. I have found for instance that a 50# elb or even a flatbow for that matter made from a dense wood like osage can't really be made that efficient if it is too long unless a longer section of the middle is kept stiff. The wood just won't be stiff enough to avoid bulging in the final stages of the power stroke. A very light wood or even medium dense wood like pecan or maple might very well be idealized at a longer length. I feel pretty sure that there is some kind of ideal ratio that incorporates, length, width, density, and draw weight. All these things can be manipulated by using different tillers and profile shapes. I personaly have found with most bows about 72" long I do best wth a straight bow design and a slight amount of reflex or even straight. My r/d bows seem to peek out around 67" long. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:46:32 pm »
My thinking was somewhere in there with both of you. I do think that it can be efficient as long as it isn't overbuilt like Ryan said. I also think overbuilt in a standard weight bow with an average draw is reached long before most realize, like maybe 67" like Steve said.  If a guy can draw to 40" I'm sure a R/D at 80" would be incredible.  Or if you are shooting for a 120# bow you might keep efficiency at longer lengths.  I also wonder if a longer R/D might be better with a long stiff area in the middle then use the outer limbs more.  It would resemble a whip tiller except it would still have a lot of limb working because of the limb length. 

The thing that got me thinking on this is that I have a purpleheart bow that I would like to hit a higher weight.  I made it longer because Steve mentioned that he has had crysals with purple heart.  After I got glued up I cant help but wonder if it isn't to long to be efficient.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah