Author Topic: My 2008 MOJAM Auction Phenom  (Read 8041 times)

Offline tom sawyer

My 2008 MOJAM Auction Phenom
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:38:54 pm »
When eyeballing the fine bows up for auction at this year's MOJAM, I decided to splurge and go for a bow made by someone I think is one of the top bowyers in the country as well as being a heck of a good guy.  The bow is a Genesis Bows Phenom made by JD Jones (horseapple around here).  Its bamboo-backed osage, looks like bloodwood power lam, walnut handle and tip overlays.  Pretty aggressive R/D profile with over 2" of net reflex.  Very sleek and light in the hand.  48lb@28", performs like my 55lb bows.  Light enough for plenty of practice and enough punch for whitetail hunting.  I've shot it now, it feels great.  Doesn't make me shoot any better, guess I'll be spending some quality time with it before deer season.

I knew it would fetch a "decent" price (if half of new price could be considered decent) since they have at the last several events.  In any case, I saw several other folks fondling my bow during the preview, looks like there are still a few drool spots on it but I'll polish it eventually.  I fought off Sal and a couple of others to win the bidding.  Sal was gracious in defeat, I deserved that kick to the shins.

Why does someone who makes bows need to buy bows?  Answer, they don't.  This isn't about need.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Lost Arra

Re: My 2008 MOJAM Auction Phenom
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:16:42 am »
Great bow choice for your bidding.

JD makes beautiful bows that really perform.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:26:56 am »
Lenny, It was fun watching you and Sal duke it out..And hanging out with you, Jd and company again..Can't wait till next year...
Rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:27 am »
Nice bow Lennie,ya it ia all about want isn't it. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:45:33 am »
Rich, Sal and I are always bidding against each other.  We have kids near the same age, and apparently both have good taste.  He already had one of JD's bows, so he wasn't too heartbroken.

Pappy, I figure now and then its OK to just want something, and act on it.  I figure nobody ever sits around the retirement home thinking about how practical it was not to buy that cool bow in 08.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:10:28 pm »
Lennie, that bow you got is a beauty and worth every cent. Pat Brennan also donated an exceptionaly nice bow that I would imagine was very hard to let go of. I saw a lot of people handling Pats bow as well. I have to admire Pat for his generosity as he didn't even attend the event.   Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »
Steve, I was there in my heart and have been each year that Mojam has taken place. Like I said, one year I will have my body there too! ;D  I consider Mojam to be one of the most important wood bow building events in the US and sending them a bow as my support is the least I can do. Maybe I will make it an annual event and send one next year too.  ;)  Thanks for the compliments on the bow. Even though it was my hunting bow last year, I never got around to posting pic here on PA.  Many have seen it at the Tenn Classic and other trad shoots in the last year.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:04:20 pm »
I forgot to mention, the bow had a glued-on arrow rest for a rightie.  I'm a leftie.  When the wife found out it pulled 48lb, she immediately said that she could probably shoot it.  I'm going to put a matching rest on the left and leave the other so we can both use it.  Shannon tried it yesterday but the reflex makes a lot of early weight and as a result she had a little trouble pulling it, I'm all broke up about that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline horseapple

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
Lennie, the bow couldn't have went to a nicer guy, hope it makes meat for you someday.

Friends in Archery

JD

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:14:19 am »
Guys Lennie looked like he was at Barret-Jackson biddin on a 57 chevy, he raise his card without hesitation at every bid, well there was the one time he looked over at Shannon and she said OK ;D

I wish JD would sell some of his old culls so I could afford one some day. :'(

Steve, it was great to meet you HOMIE!! Always good to see you Rich.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:00:02 pm »
Nice bow, lucky guy  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:01:43 pm »
Looks like a dandy! I gotta make mojam one year if for nothing else than to meet all you guys :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Roger

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:59:40 pm »
Lennie...wacha doing buying a girlie bow. Now you can fool all these other guys by saying it was for the "little woman"...but you may not get the ol' man card punched next time ya show up at a shoot with that thing.

really nice score bud...I'm jealous!

R.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 11:46:51 am »
I'm just planning ahead for my old age, Roger.  You all know I could pull twice the poundage.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jwillis

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:31 pm »
That is an awesome looking profile on that bow... it has the triangular profile at brace that Badger has mentioned in previous threads.  I'll bet is has good cast.  Jim