Author Topic: DIY takedown sleeve  (Read 3859 times)

Minuteman

DIY takedown sleeve
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:17:19 pm »
Ok fellers I'm a do it yer selfer due to an extreme unwillingness to part with cash . I'm looking for a hardware store takedown sleeve.I was at a Lowes yesterday and looked over the copper unions they had in 1 1/4"seemed like a guy could get two of those and cut enough off one so it would crimp down some and fit inside the other one.
 Has anyone done something like this?
 The other question I have is how far does the handle section go into the sleeve and how long should the sleeve be to have enough strength ?
 Thinkin about a takedown bow for an elk hunting trip in 2010

Offline woodenwonder

Re: DIY takedown sleeve
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:07 pm »
Copper may be too soft. You might find some steel tube (not pipe) at a salvage yard. Stainless steel and brass would look good too. Gary

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
Go to your local hardware store/lumber yard and take a look at fence posts.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:59:18 pm »
Copper is to soft and probably to thin walled anyway.  Have a look at this.  http://www.archerie-primitive.com/fabrication/manchons.htm  Sorry it is in French but you will get the idea.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:44:39 pm »
Yeah just biked past a pile of scrap steel at my sisters and there amongst all the other crap was a piece of galvanized pipe . It was a part of a greenhouse at one time so it has a male and female ends. Looks like it'll work. I'll let ya'll know. Looks like the female section needs to be twice as long as the male with the male being 2" or more. I'm thinking with steel you could get away with 2".
 I bet the thicker walled copper pipe would do it, its just awful pricey anymore. 26 bucks for a 4 foot section of 1 1/4"stock.

Minuteman

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:08:43 pm »
Well, after an hour or so in the shop I have what appears to be a takedown sleeve. The pipe was 1 1/4" galvanized steel. I cut the female part to 4" long and the male to 2" long. Turns out the part that was already swaged to fit inside was too mangled to use so I had to cut some of the pipe wall away along its length to make it small enough to fit inside the larger pipe. I need to weld the smaller pipe back together and file/sand it down to fit again then go rummage through the pile of short osage billets I got in the barn.
 Pretty cool... ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:41:57 am »
The sleeves I used were bought but the handle section was about 4 inches and the male or the ones on the limb was 2 inches.That was plenty.It was Steel and brass.
   Pappy
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:39:31 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:55:41 am »
Pappy, the ones I have measure 5" with a 2.5" insert.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:44:49 pm »
That may be closer justin, Didn't remember for sure but thought that was close. I got mine from 3 rivers. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good