Author Topic: whats more important?  (Read 5084 times)

Offline sailordad

whats more important?
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:26 pm »
    heres a question i've been pondering.

when making a if you can only get one or the other met with the wood that you are working,which is more important:
proper tiller  or  making a decent bow weight for hunting say 50lbs.

only reason ive been pondering this is ive been working on a boo/ipe hunting bow for a friend,he wanted 50 lbs @ 29 inches,the ipe hasnt been wanting to cooperate
in one area just above the handle,the wood almost seems soft there,there has been a troublesome hinge.
i've been getting it better,however the draw weight is going to suffer if i go further. i'm pretty sure i can achive proper tiller but the bow will probably only weigh in at a about 40lbs. now my resources arent great so just saying screw it and starting over isnt an option.

ya i know pics would be nice,however i wont post pics untill this one is finished,one way or another.
it has a brace hieght of 6.5 inches from the back of the bow,slaps the wrist  right at the heal of the hand.
i put about 50 arrows thru it last night,seems to be hitting fairly hard and fast right now,pulling 50 lbs @ 29 inches.however like i said has a slight hinge yet.

anyhoo thats the question,  ifn you can only have one wich is it, tiller or weight? ???

peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: whats more important?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:20 pm »
well, id say there might be other options. im not sure how it would work with a glue up, but i know some isolated heat treating can do wonders for slight weak spots. but before you go and do anything, wait for somebody who knows what hes talkin about ;)

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:03 pm »
You migth have weigth now, but an hinged bow soner or later will decay, ...tiller formost !
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »
i'm also thinking that i could also pike about 2" and get some weight back.

nomadic pirate: you pretty much confirmed my main thought, thanks

snakebow

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:27:19 pm »
Try and sinew back it. I have a osage that has a decent hinge in it that is about 12 years old and it still shoots good today.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:17 pm »
sinew back a boo backed bow?

isnt that sacrilege?

is it possible?hmmm  interesting thought, dont have any sinew yet,do have a hickory bow waiting for sinew.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »
I would say tiller first!!!! If all doesn't go well I would be more than happy to glue up another one for you.. all I would ask is you pay shipping.. Cant let your buddy go hunting with out the proper stick..

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:02:27 am »
Tiller is most important. That hinge will deteriorate. There are other options to increase weight. You could reduce the belly and add another lam.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:46:01 am »
o.k. so tiller it is.

the most important part of bowmaking,thats what i conclude after all of your input,that and a 1oo mile ride on the bike ;D ;D always good to clear the head,and get the mind thinking properly ;D

i will try and fix the tiller,if i was to take a total of 3 inches off of the length would i gain about 8 lbs maybe?

knightd: thanks for the offer,i will try and not have to take you up on it.

thanks again, peace
                                                                                                          tim

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:04 am »
Try and get it to bend  more between the "soft spot" and the handle.  If you can fix the hinge and raise the brace height to 6.5" from the belly of the bow, you will still have your weight.. Increasing the brace will give you more poundage..

A belly lam is worth doing like Pat mentioned, but I think you can get this bow right.

How long is it?

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:58:43 am »
Tiller first, otherwise the bow probably won't last. Sometimes, you have to listen to the wood. It'll tell you how far to go, or not to go, if you're willing to listen. I think it's always vital to have a goal in mind before you start, but don't be afraid to stop along the way. I started out with a hickory backed osage stave, with intention of making 50-55# @ 27". A hunting bow. Bendy handle. 62" NTN. Well... at 70#, the tiller was so good, I stopped. I'm glad I did, because it's a beautiful bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:36 am »
If you end up having to pike it, if you have the length to take it down 3 inches, you should at least gain 8 pounds.  You also could try getting the wood to move closer to the fades or possibly shorten your fades if there is enough room on the inside of the hinge.

If you have to take me up on this offer, it won't be a problem. 

Dave

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:45 am »
I always like to hit weight ,but Tiller comes first,then if I have missed what I wanted I will explore the options . I would say you will pick up about 3 lbs. per. inch if you decide to cut it down.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:50:42 am »
If you can fix the hinge and raise the brace height to 6.5" from the belly of the bow, you will still have your weight.. Increasing the brace will give you more poundage..

What???? Why would raising the brace hieght effect the draw weight?  ???
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 11:09:01 am »
I didn't get that comment either. Increasing the brace height will not increase the draw weight. How? It will over stress the bow, possibly breaking it, if you make the brace height too much, especially if you're tillering with a hinge present.