Author Topic: Latest, getting better...pics*  (Read 5670 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Latest, getting better...pics*
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:31 am »
Well here is a bow i just finished for a trade on PP. I really streached myself on this one. alot of firsts for me, first time using tru-oil, first time tillering past 28", first bow that didnt chryssal anywhere, first time using leather to build up a rest... you get the idea. it aint perfect, but im happy with the way it turned out. I really hate to see this bow go, but i cant wait to give it away.

The wood is hickory, stained with black walnut stain, apticot tip overlays, and 8 coats of tru-oil finish. It finished out at 52#@30".
70.5" ntn, 1 3/4 at the fades till 2/3 of the limb, then down to 7/16 tips. the set just after unbracing is 1 1/4. after rest 3/4 on the top, 5/8 on the bottom.

The handle has some of the heart wood on it yet, which i thought looked too cool to cover up, so its necked! the rest is leather built up and then coated in superglue.

the upper limb has a bit of deflex comming directly off the fadeout, i heated out a lot of it, but its still there enough to make it look to bendy out of the fade. but no set there after about 350 arrows (this is a fun bow to shoot  ) so i guess its ok...

It has a couple of tool marks that i didnt see befor i finished it. GRRRRR! funny how itll look great untill ya get 8 coats of tru-oil on it and then BAM there they are...

Its mass is 26.5 oz. , which with Steve's mass formula is 4oz too heavy, but i figure a little overbuilt aint all that bad. i could probably take some more wood off the tips, but it shoots pretty fast, and throws my 660 gr. hunting arrows 145 paces. my last bow only threw them 125. same draw weight, 3 inches longer draw length. like i said before, i love this bow and hate to see it go, but i cant wait to give it away!
well here ya go.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:00:17 am by The Burnt Hill Archer »
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Re: Latest, the best one yet...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:17:07 am »
a couple more pics...

Phillip K

Re: Latest, the best one yet...pics*
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:16 am »
Thats really Good lookin, Whata ya use to sign your Bows, I always have trouble with the ink staying on the bow when I put the grease or shelac on.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:59 am »
Thanks! i found it at a Jo-Ann fabrics store, its called a Sharpie Paint. they come in everything from extra fine (which is what i got) to wide. they had black, white, yellow, and the silver. the silver's kinda cool cause at certain angles you can hardly see it.

i was a bit worried about it commin off too, but its an oil based paint, and it didnt smear at all. i did let it sit overnight before i put the other coats of tru-oil over it though.

Phil

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:12:50 am »
 Very Very nice Phil, you did very good on that one, The tips are detailed and clean and the tiller looks great. That will make someone a very nice trade.  Keenan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Latest, getting better...pics*
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:45:09 am »
Very nice job,tiller looks good and the finish work looks great also.He will love getting that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:00:21 am »
Beautiful bow, I really like the handle shaping.  Tiller looks real good.  To check for tool marks before I put tru oil on. I rub the entire bow really fast with a paper towel.  Do this until the  paper towel feels hot.  Then take it out in the sunlight, any remaining tool marks will show up just like there was a finish on it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:21:50 am »
good looking bow you got there. Got to love that profile..

david

salad days

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:37:14 am »
Nice bow. Is that charcoal in the grain. Looks really good. Nice tips too.

alfadee

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 08:13:47 am »
very nice bow,i like the grain of this wood.
tiller looks great and the handle looks very nice, too.

david

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:12 am »
Great job on the finish work, really turned out nice. I like everything about it! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:57 am »
Greta looking bow it should make who ever gets it happy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:21 am »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Rick, thanks for the tip, ill deffinately try that next time.

OctoberSunrise, nope its actually 3 coats of black walnut stain. i made a nubie mistake and burnished the bow before i stained it, and the early wood is the only part that really took it. oh well this is only number 16 so ive got a couple more before i can be expected not to make any mistakes. ;)

Thanks for the comments on the handle. ive finally settled in on a handle design i like, and this is it. 1" at the narrow part, 1 1/4" at the middle. 1 3/8" deep. it settles nicely in the hand, and doesnt torque at all.

Phil

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:08:21 am »
Beautiful bow and a beautiful tiller. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:34 am »
Great looking bow, hard to beat that design as an all-around dependable shooter. I think whoever gets it should be very happy with it. Good job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.