Author Topic: Siouxbow replica  (Read 14110 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Siouxbow replica
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 08:59:17 am »
Nice job,sweet looking bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline uwe

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »
uwe now that you have that nice sinew souix replicate bow done . you shall send it to me in Missourri.
 good lookin bow nice job
                                 Dennis

Well, would do it for a good trade. But the postage to US is f...y high! :o
Anotherone of this bowtype is on my workbench. I had a very rough piece of osage, which others may have send to fire, but I`ll make a bow of it!
Its length is about 96,5 cm, what should be around 3 ft. or 1 yard, 2", if I`m correct.
Regards Uwe

Offline uwe

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »
Nice job UWE. The question of "weight" on these NA bows has been around for some time. In the mid 70's I had a plains bow, allegedly Cheyenne, that had a similar profile but with recurved curved tips on it. It had a sinew string and was sinew backed. Before we knew better,  :o   it was tillered to 24". It was 42# at 24". It was in a Buffalo hide quiver. Remnants of the arrow case were still on the bottom of the quiver. I will try and locate a photo of it. (found "kinda" one). The bow now resides in a private collection in Colorado. The other items in the photos are a plains Indian "skinning set" two knives in a dual beaded sheath. The shirt is a "war shirt", Lakota Sioux" about 1870's. It had eight "scalp" locks on it, four front, four in the back. The other photo is the gold and silver Bowie knife that was on display at the 76 blade show in Chicago. This is an old scan and just a bit of trivia.

Dick
Thanks a lot Dick! Now I have an idea of that my works seem to be on the right path. The feeling of shooting with this bow is agreeing with your "drawweight discription".
Even thanks for the nice pics. of original items.
Regards Uwe

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:11 pm »
Uwe.....shipping isn't that bad.....as long as the Bow meets the length and girth measurements....this Bow under 60 inches packaged in a Tube....sent to the States....should not weigh more than 6 American Pounds....this adds up to $41.00 shipping ....plus Insurance....I ship Bows all over the World and use the Postal Service....so Unless the Postal Service in Germany is Outrageous....then it really isn't too bad.just make sure to read the Fine Print!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »
its a nice bow havent sinewed backed any of mine yet they all have been rawhide. Plan an getting some sinew next weekend I have a osage plains style cut out may put on it. Would like to make one out of ash and sinew back it if I can get some ash next weekend
                                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline uwe

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »
Interesting Dennis!
I`ve heard in US there is different ash to european. The indians bows were made of prairieash? Is it correct? They have better attributes than european. But I think they must have wider limbs than osagebows.
Good success in your plan.
Regards Uwe