Author Topic: Another question on Cherokee/Eastern bows  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Skeaterbait

Another question on Cherokee/Eastern bows
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:32 am »
I noticed on a couple of examples that the string for the Cherokee bow seems to have a loop on one end but anchored on the bottom in another fashion. I have the TBB but that section didn't seem to go in to the tying of the string. Can anyone explain how this it tied? It looks as though it wraps about the last inch or so of the limb before the string nock.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Another question on Cherokee/Eastern bows
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
Dude........ I don't know what knot they tied on the Bottom....but when I make a B 50 String for one of My N.A. Bows....I always make the String with a Flemish Eye on one End and I rat Tail on the other....this way I can adjust the Brace Height by adjusting the Timber Hitch Knot on the RatTail End....plus I believe that  it is a Lot Safer than the Original way too....On My Display Bows that I have made......I make the Strings from either Gut or Sinew.....and I always tie the Bottoms with 4-6 Half Hitches on the Bottom Limb.....to make it Look like the Picture this way...........and a Timber Hitch Knot on the Top........Hope this Helps

Michael "El Destructo" Roberts
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:38:50 am »
Lonnie, from the close-up illustrations of the old Cherokee bows in Hamm and Allely's Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers, it doesn't really look like that there was a "standard" knot, I guess each person had his own system that worked. Most of them look like the string was wrapped a couple times, then tied with a conglomeration of half-hitches and wraps until it didn't slip anymore.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:31 am »
Gee....I think I heard that somewhere!!!!!   ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:12:23 am »
Tying the string on one end is very common among Native American bows.  I've only seen a few NA bowstrings with two loops.

Just use whatever knot you like and then wrap the extra length around the end of the bow.  Finish off by tucking the end of the string under the last wrap and pull tight.  Some original strings had a short piece of bucksin lace attached to the end....so that the last wrap(s) will hold better.

The extra length has two purposes.  One, during dry weather, strings made of sinew or rawhide will shrink.  Two, the extra length is needed for grabbing onto the string and tying the knot.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:27:17 pm »
Thanks all. I will get a string made and post some pics soon.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:19 am »
I quit making strings with two loops a few years back.....I downloaded John Scrifes string tutorial and have never looked back!

I have even quit using a flemish string board too......

http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/string.html

IMHO the best string how-to I have ever seen....including the videos out there.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying