Author Topic: My first osage effort  (Read 22238 times)

Offline cracker

If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline YewArcher

Re: My first osage effort
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »
Cracker,
The worst possiable place for  a bow to take set is right at the fades or handel area, makes for a real slow bow. You are on your way to some  set if you keep pulling that bow the way it is. Got to get those limbs bending allot more. Just look at the angle comming right at the fades and that will help guide you where you need to bend. Espically the one on the left. Keep the pics ccomming.

SJM

Offline RG

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:09 pm »
Cracker your probably tired of hearing the same thing but you need to work on the outer 2/3 of the limbs I use a 3 or 4 inch straight edge
and run it along the underside and watch for were it is bending and were it is flat in case  you miss it with the naked eye

Ron

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Ryano and Pappy
   Glad to hear from you guys. I kinda had 60#at 28 in mind.The reason for having it so wide is that the vertical grain wanders from the center of the handle to very near the edge of the limb in a place or two before winding up in the center of the nock. I'm not very familiar with osage so I thought this would be an error on the safe side.This is all an experiment to me so if you guys got a recomendation I'll try it.
Thanks for looking.R.C.

Ron, are you saying you didn't follow the lateral grain when you cut out the shape of the limbs? I hope thats not the case. You need to follow the grain or your going to have problems down the road. Osage is unforgiving of not following the grain. I agree with what the others have said about the tiller.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cracker

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »
Ryano and Pappy
   Glad to hear from you guys. I kinda had 60#at 28 in mind.The reason for having it so wide is that the vertical grain wanders from the center of the handle to very near the edge of the limb in a place or two before winding up in the center of the nock. I'm not very familiar with osage so I thought this would be an error on the safe side.This is all an experiment to me so if you guys got a recomendation I'll try it.
Thanks for looking.R.C.

Ron, are you saying you didn't follow the lateral grain when you cut out the shape of the limbs? I hope thats not the case. You need to follow the grain or your going to have problems down the road. Osage is unforgiving of not following the grain. I agree with what the others have said about the tiller.
Ryano The bow was already roughed out when I got it. Kinda locked into that part so I figured I'd see what happened for educational purposes.Ron

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »
Hmm, looks like it's coming together. That left limb does look to be hinging right out of the fade a little. Looks like your following the grain and it's telling you what to do. As said before, you need to get the inner two thirds of the limbs bending more to match the fades. I got a feeling your gonna make a good bow out of that thing mister Ronnie ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 06:57:40 am »
What YewArcher said !!!!!!! Stay off the fades and get the mid and outer limbs moving.
As far as the longitudinal grain I hope it is close ,if you can see it and it is running off the side
see if you can adjust the profile a little and match the other limb to it before you go to far on
the tiller,or you may concider backing it with rawhide.Some time if I have a little run off
I will take a chance till I get it pretty close to full draw and the rap it right at the run off with
sinew and usually won't give ant trouble.Then you can match the rap on the other limb and it looks pretty good.Keep us posted. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 05:31:59 pm »
Hy everyone thanks for the info . After sitting here staring at the pictures until I almost went cross eyed I think I see what you all mean.Thanks for keeping up with me.
R.C.

Offline cracker

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:21 pm »
I think that's lookin damn good Ronnie. There's some whooptedo's in the stave that makes it look like something funky goin on mainly in the left limb "like a hinge" but that's an optical illusion. I'm lookin at the siding on the building behind it - makes it look like the  right limb is bending more but I think your T stick is leaning to the right. Can't tell much more with short draw and long string - mid limbs out might be a little stiff. That's just me, if I was working on that one here I'd be scraping just outside the fades to six inches of the tips to get more bending going on - now my eyes are gettin crossed ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cracker

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »
I think that's lookin damn good Ronnie. There's some whooptedo's in the stave that makes it look like something funky goin on mainly in the left limb "like a hinge" but that's an optical illusion. I'm lookin at the siding on the building behind it - makes it look like the  right limb is bending more but I think your T stick is leaning to the right. Can't tell much more with short draw and long string - mid limbs out might be a little stiff. That's just me, if I was working on that one here I'd be scraping just outside the fades to six inches of the tips to get more bending going on - now my eyes are gettin crossed ;D.
Thanks Cowboy thats what I was thinking the whooptedos really throw a wrench in my works. I'm used to the nice straight hickory. I do agree about an optical illusion. I haven't touched the whooptedos since getting it roughed out.  They don't bend none.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:59 am »
Looking better,Still looks like the middle 1/3 need a little more ,then pull it down another notch or 2 and see what it looks like,It is coming along. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:53 am »
Looking better,Still looks like the middle 1/3 need a little more ,then pull it down another notch or 2 and see what it looks like,It is coming along. :)
   Pappy
Thanks Pappy.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:43 am »
Make sure you work those limbs a lot of short strokes between scrapping sessions to make sure the wood is accepting the changes. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cracker

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »
Make sure you work those limbs a lot of short strokes between scrapping sessions to make sure the wood is accepting the changes. ;)
Thanks Greg I have been doing that probably 30 or 40 between shaving and checking.
Thanks Ronnie