Author Topic: Hickory with hickory backing bow  (Read 7921 times)

crazy horse

Hickory with hickory backing bow
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:29:28 am »
After three failed attempts, this is my first successful bow.  I applied deer antler tips and made the flemish string and leather grip. The bow measures 67" k-k and pulls 56# at 28".  Open to any feedback or suggestions.

Offline chaetaux

• camelot bows
Re: Hickory with hickory backing bow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:18:39 am »
3 Attempts and such bow! You have talent. congratulations ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:36 am »
Looks pretty durn good to me, if anything a little more bend near the fades. You did a great job on the grip.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:19:12 am »
What Dana says..........could use a bit more bend at the Fades....but other than that...Handle shape.....and Grip looks good.....I'm not much for Arrow Shelves!!  Nice Tips too....I like the Bone or Antler better than Wood....Now go have fun shooting it!!     ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:31:37 am »
You have done a good job on this bow and especially with it being your 3rd attempt.  It could bend a bit more near the fades but at the length of this bow, a stiff handle area is completely acceptable in my opinion. As far as hickory backed hickory, this can be an excellent combo as proven by Dan Perry, a world class champion flight shooter from Utah. Under the dry conditions of Utah, and other western states, hickory excels. If you live in a humid climate the tiller and draw weight can suffer with hickory. Saying that, hickory is one of my favorite bow woods.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 11:55:42 am »
Got your fine weapon bookmarked for July Laminate Bow of the Month.  Congratulations!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:40:55 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. The tips are sort of bulky...I'd taper the antler into the limb a little bit more and remove some wood from the belly side of the over lay to reduce the added weight and thickness of the antler overlay.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

crazy horse

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:57 pm »
I will need to pay more attention to the fades area on my next bow.  Thanks for all the feedback!  Having only shot my compound with sights before, I find shooting this bow an adrelinine rush.  "Freeing" yourself from all todays technology and simply shooting with a handmade stickbow is liberating.  I have some elm drying that I am anxious to work with and would like to locate some osage as well.  

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »
                                                                    EBAY
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:33 am »
Very nice work,good for any bow but especialy for you 3rd.Good job,you will enjoy that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:11 am »
Looks pretty good, if that's your third attempt, you're doing well. Like Ryan said, if you would taper those tip overlays more, it would reduce tip weight and also make it easier to brace.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:25:56 am »
Nice looking bow, for your 3rd try! If I was you, I'd round of the edges a bit more everywhere, especially at the tips. Your tip overlays are cool, but try tapering them to the back. They'll look better, and be lighter. Nice work. Your tiller looks pretty decent. Have fun shooting it!

salad days

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:23 pm »
My first bow that lasted through breaking it in was also hickory backed hickory. To battle the humidity problem I stored the bow between work sessions in my attic. Super hot and dry. My finished bow after about 500 or more shots has settled at 2 inches of set and really shoots nice. It is also alittle stiff at the fades but zero handshock. Thats a nice bow you have there.

Offline Key

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:56:07 pm »
Real nice bow. Hope you get a deer with it this fall.
Roger

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:21:25 pm »
Looks pretty darn good.  You could make a few changes like suggested. It doesn't have to be a high performance bow though, and you can shoot it just like it is. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah