Author Topic: short indian bows and grain  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Blacktail

short indian bows and grain
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:45:52 pm »
my question is.i have a short peice of yew wood that i want to make a indian bow out of.the wood is 38 inches and i was wondering if its possible to cut throught the gains and sinew back it....would the wood hold up being a short peice or is this a bad way to go.thanks john

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: short indian bows and grain
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:43:07 pm »
I'm no expert, but 38" seems really short even with sinew backing.  It would have to be a real short draw.  Is it possible to get two splits out of the piece and splice?  See if some more experienced advice comes in before taking mine.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:44:16 pm »
It is always better if you don't cut through the grain but if you sinew back the bow, it should be OK.  I'd make the bow bend through the handle and kick up the very tips on each limb. 19" to 20" would be max draw.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:26:45 am »
thank you pat.that is what i was wondering and what i was looking for...you even got the tips and draw length in there..thanks you, thanks you.john

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:33:17 am »
If possible, do some research on California Indian bows before you begin.  You'll discover that some Native American bow makers did not chase rings along the backs (especially when sinew is to be applied).  Ishi is a good example.

There is also the issue of width of the limbs.  The wider the limbs, the further you can draw the bow.  Pat's advice is good, but a short, bendy handle bow may be too wide in the handle for your taste...if so, make sure the limbs are very wide if you prefer a stiff/narrow handle. 

As far as 38" being too short, the answer is no.  There are several examples of sinew-backed NA bows that are shorter than 38". ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:31 am »
38" of yew will make a fine West Coast Indian bow. Lots of examples of bows that short still around. It is not that hard to get the sap wood off t get a clean back of heart wood. Use a draw knide until you are very close to the heart wood then switch to a scarper. That said I have yet to make one that has a 100% clean ring......its ok do hop rings a bit when sinew backing but i would keep it to a minimum. You will have to short draw the bow but that is ok that is how they are menat to be shot.how wide is the stave?

Here is one of mine:

These bows are really awsome to shoot. That one is 44" 42" n2n. They make great hunting weapons as you can shoot them from any angle sitting standing kneeling etc....almost like a spiner bow. They are hard to learn how to shoot though.

Any thoughts on what tribe you are going to make?

SJM

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:05:40 am »
By the way. At 38" the bow will need to bend through the handel as shown in the post above. You will not have the option of a stiff handel area.

SJM

Offline uwe

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:25:05 pm »
I agree with the posts of you. A paddlebow (Californian) would be okay.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:52 pm »
How interesting that you are starting this short bow. I have begun one of yew that is 40"end to end. My plan is to copy the "buffalo bow" design of the Nez Perce. I have a drawing and live close to their Museum. It is just as Pat B said, bends through the handle, and tight recurved tips.
Mine also is of Yew, will be sinew backed, 1-1/4" wide at the handle and 5/8 or 3/4 at the tips, draw length of 20". I look forward to seeing yours.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:33:18 pm »
Lets see a Face Shot of this Bow.....want to see the shape of it.......and three fingers under.....thats sure a different shooting style for a Westy!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:29:29 pm »
El Destructo,

More on that bow can be found here.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2705.0.html

I do not want to hyjack this thred. As far as the face shot goes It has very little shape, very subtle, not all west coast bows were what are commonly called "paddle" bows.

SJM

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:57 pm »
thanks guys for the positive info.yewarcher you have some great info for me and thanks.i read your topic on the pit river bow. and i am doing one right know.i am really close to being done.the problem is there is a knot in one of the limbs that is 3/4inch.and i am hoping that it will hold.thanks again john

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 10:37:38 pm »
I'm glad you got some better advice than mine .  Those are some sweet bows!  I never thought that you could build quite that short.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 01:13:46 am »
thats o.k. rick.i wasnt to sure either.i just figure it dont hurt to ask.and see what people say.thanks for the info it was help.john

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 02:37:54 am »
I've got some small diameter yew also thats a bit longer. Any Ideas what I could do with it?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill