Author Topic: Ipe and Bamboo Scrap wood bow  (Read 7022 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

Ipe and Bamboo Scrap wood bow
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:15 pm »
I recently made an ipe and bamboo elb out of a decking plank bought from a local timber merchant.  The wood in the centre of the plank was almost faultless so that went into the elb - (see "Ipe and Bamboo" thread in warbows).  That left two scrap pieces from either side, one too small to use the other just an inch wide.  It didn't look good enough for another elb and was only just wide enough to make a flat bow.  Well - waste not want not, here is the result.  Bamboo backing from the same pole as the original longbow, the riser is some balau I had left over from the core of a previous bow and the handle binding literally a scrap from a leather shop.  Left over bits of black buffalo horn for the nock overlays and I think the whole thing must have cost me almost £10 - it's an expensive hobby this bow making!

Length 66" n to n width 1" at the fades. It's  48lbs # 27" (I don't draw much more than that), 50lbs at the maximum tiller of 28".  The top limb retains a tiny bit of reflex the bottom limb is almost perfectly straight so its a fraction out of tiller when braced but fine at full draw - though I didn't put it on the tiller quite straight for the pic.

I love this combination of colours, there are lots of mistakes here by the bowyer plenty of imperfections in the tillering, but nature got it right with the colours and it was worth making the bow just for the beauty of the wood once it has been oiled.  It's light and quick and a great little knock about bow for field shooting.

Thanks to you guys for all the information and advice on this site - it's a huge inspiration to those of us who want to leanr more about the craft!

Stan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:01:15 am by backgardenbowyer »

Offline Badger

Re: Ipe and Bamboo Scrap wood bow
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:59:44 pm »
  Very nice job, classique longbow! Steve

Offline woodenwonder

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:23 pm »
That's a good looking tiller. A boo backed Ipe is my next bow. What width and thickness are you out of the fades and at the nocks?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:57:41 pm »
Is the bow sitting crooked on the tiller tree at full draw? Cuz the tiller looks way off to me, with the left limb bending way further than the right.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:15:56 pm »
ya it looks like its sitting crooked,look et the handle it looks like  it is leaning low left

sweet looking stick ya made 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:17:13 pm »
I think it is out of tiller a little but the riser is definitely setting crooked in the tree.

Stan, I think you did good by the wood. I like bows from scrap. My ipe/boo recurve is scraps from 2 different bows.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »
Beautiful tiller! That's a pretty cool bow.  8)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:25:58 am »
That is a fine bow and bookmarked within the laminate category for July BOM.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 02:07:44 am »
Looks real good BGB, and tillers always look different when drawing in person than on a stick especially on assymetrical limbs..That is more than close enough..If it shooting sweet that is what matters most..

The osage nazi hotline just left a nasty message on my cellphone...apparently all these Ipe bows being posted are interfering with their overthowing the wood bowmaking world.. ;D

Rich

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:00 am »
Looks real good BGB, and tillers always look different when drawing in person than on a stick especially on assymetrical limbs..That is more than close enough..If it shooting sweet that is what matters most..

The osage nazi hotline just left a nasty message on my cellphone...apparently all these Ipe bows being posted are interfering with their overthowing the wood bowmaking world.. ;D

Rich                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        hahahaha !

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:32:03 am »
Nice job Stan.  You have been busy!  I'm looking forward to seeing this bow 'in person'. I picked up one of your arrows from the returns bin at Jim's Jungle Jaunt over the weekend -  I'll leave it at the club house for you.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:23:58 am »
Very nice ,looks good to me. Wast not want not.I love using scrap,not as much as GregB  ;D
but still like to use stuff other folks want to throw away. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 08:59:18 am »
Thanks guys - yes the bow is sitting crooked in the pic, so the tiller isn't as far out as it looks, but its not perfect!

Stan