Author Topic: Tamarack  (Read 4625 times)

Offline adb

Tamarack
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:54:03 pm »
Hey, all

Has anyone tried Tamarack as a bow wood? As far as I know, it's the only evergreen which sheds it's needles every year in the fall. There's lots up here, where I live, and it grows very straight. I'm thinking it's like most pines... good arrow wood, but poor bow wood.

Offline John K

Re: Tamarack
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:57:48 pm »
Never tried it, but i know it very rot resistant, better than cedar !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »
I haven't tried it myself but I was showing some bows many years ago when a native from north of me came over and looked at some of my bows.  He thought an Osage bow I had was made out of Tamarack.  I suspect it may have been used by some natives in the past
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:56:59 pm »
I bet that if you can find one that doesnt have a bunch of Twist to it....it would be great....Tamarack is some dang tough wood....got it all over the central UP of Michigan
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:19:12 pm »
Yup its all over up here in da UP and I know it dries very hard and burns hot. If I evermanage to get me some I will try it.
I'm thinking maybe a big branch and use the underside like on the junipers.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:39 pm »
Thanks, Guys
It's all over the place up here, and it sure grows straight. I'll have to give it a try. Any advice on when to cut it? Spring, fall, winter? Sapwood on or off?

Offline Kjikakakuj

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:34 pm »
   I,ve read that it's very high in bending and compression properties. I'm going to try using it as belly lambs in the hopes that it may be suitable as a horn belly substitute. I want to make an all natural three piece take-down recurve. Will use heat treated red oak sap wood as limbs.

I hope others can add to the thread. It's one that's been on my mind for a while.
        Have a good one.
                            ---Sean C.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:21:54 pm »
Is it the same thing as larch? We have tree's that shed there needles every year called larch.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:37 pm »
Yes Ryan......Tamarack is Tamarack Larch...... or American Larch.....Eastern Larch....same Tree

The wood is tough and durable, but also flexible in thin strips, and was used by the Algonquian people for making snowshoes and other products where toughness was required.

According to 'Aboriginal Plant Use in Canada's Northwest Boreal Forest', the inner bark has also been used as a poultice to treat cuts, infected wounds, frostbite, boils and hemorrhoids. The outer bark and roots are also said to have been used with another plant as a treatment for arthritis, cold and general aches and pains.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:16:44 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »
sounds like it would be a good candidate for an elb.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:39:19 am »
Tamarack has a tendency to have a spiral twist to it ....and the only way to really see it is to split it....and then sometimes you have wooden corkscrews!!!   ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:04:23 am »
Thanks for the info Mike.  8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:31:30 pm »
There are actually 2 species of Larch.  One is Western Larch which grows out west and then there is Tamarack which we have here in the East and is a member of the Larch family.  Western Larch is more dense and has much more compression and tensile strength than Tamarack.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com