Author Topic: Black Locust Help  (Read 3305 times)

Marshrat

Black Locust Help
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:54:45 pm »
First of its been a while so Hey to Everyone.
Got a BL stave I worked at down to 1 ring got the sides rough shaped and let it finish drying. I took it out to start making it a bow. I knew i was going to have to straighten the bottom limb but now its got a twist. So I need to get some help with fixing this. And also there is a crack from the handle down the same limb can i back it with bamboo or something else to help this? Or have it got myself a piece of firewood LOL. This will be my first  stave to bow so any help is Welcomed
 Thanks To All
  Dennis 

Offline sailordad

Re: Black Locust Help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:34 pm »
ya know ive grown to love saying this

pictures,pictures we need pictures lol

seriously though,pictures will get advise from the smart and talented folks on here.
dont worry i'm not one of them,i'm a newbie but this is good cause i think i may be cutting some bl and suger maple tonight >:D

peace,
                                                                                        tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Marshrat

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:19:47 pm »
I have no way nor do I know how to post pics. But will try and get someone to help me get some on here.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:38:20 pm »
I am getting ready to cut a BL, and want to try to work it, but it sounds like it will crack in a heartbeat. 
Westminster, MD

Marshrat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »
The crack i have is only in the back and real small thats why I think backing may do it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:35 pm »
Did you go to a heartwood back? Did you seal the back? If not do it. Sand it and get it ready for final finishing and put the fainal finish on it. How much twist in the limb? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:30:04 pm »
1.  Crack.  If it runs vertically down the back, its not too important. Leveling off this stave for bamboo backing would probably be more than you'd want to get into.  You can work in some carpenters glue and clamp.  It that area needs to be heat treated for twist, wait till after.  If its a horizontal crack, report back for another strategy.

2.  Twist.  BL responds well to dry heat.  If you don't have a heat gun, you can use a range top burner or a grill burner.  Heat the belly side a few inches away (you can get closer when you know what you are doing) get it uncomfortabley hot to touch and then a little more - a touch of scorch.  Secure in vise.  Clamp two wood slats, 1/2" x 2" x 20" long of so out past twist and use to gingerly lever in place.  Thats one strategy.

Dave

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:28 pm »
Goerge's point is good.  My suggestiions assumed a heartwood back.

Marshrat

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 09:40:50 pm »
Thanks Guys yes its heart wood back I did seal before I set it up to dryI had brought it down to one ring then sealed it. The crack runs from whats to be the handle straght down the bottom limb almost in the center.  Sound I get it down ready to tiller before I try to straighten or do it now Sides are shaded and brought down to one ring is about as far as ive gotten

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:59:21 pm »
How long is the crack? If it's not too big and it doesn't run off the side, just shoot some thin supergue in it and clamp it up.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:32 pm »
Straighten the twist before you glue it up, else the glue will melt anyway.