Author Topic: about green yew  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Blacktail

about green yew
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:48:28 pm »
whats the soonest you can cut a stave from a green yew.i am thinking about getting a chain saw just too split the tree to dry it out faster.but i am afraid it will twist if i do it to soon.i want to save as much wood as i can. i counted the rings on one of the trees and i counted 47 rings in one inch.sound great to me.thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: about green yew
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:17 pm »
If it is a complete log you should split it at least in half and seal the ends. Don't saw it. The smaller the staves the quicker it will dry. If you take a stave down to bow size and tie it to a form so it won't twist and you can add some reflex, it will dry quickest.  A lot depends on your climate...temp and relative humidity.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:11:26 am »
Actually, I believe it is common place to saw a yew stave in two rather than splitting it like a normal tree. I wouldn't use a chain saw though. A good sized band saw should do the trick.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:24:10 am »

I prefer to saw them, sawed several....

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:38:46 am »
wow,there is 3 diferant replys...since i dont have a chain saw right now.i might just use my 3/4 horse band saw and notch one end for spliting by hand..i am just scared about where the grain will run.thanks for the info.john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:55:07 am »
 John how big diam. is it. I usually saw them on a band saw, but the real big ones can be a bear, I've had several bad mishaps from splitting yew.
 Bring it over and we can run it through my saw.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:10:07 am »
I'd band saw it. But like Pat says, do seal up the ends. His suggestion about putting it on a form is good, too. But do seal it up.  I'd be inclined to varnish all the exposed surfaces if you're in a dry area.
In my area, Western Montana, which is DRY, I seal up the ends and let the 3-4" logs I collect cure for a year!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:12 am »
Like Pat said, there are many ways to do this…

The slow way: Split the log into quarter staves, seal the ends.  Let them sit for a few years (1 year per inch of thickness in @50% RH). Reduce the staves to a roughed out bow blank. Let it sit for a few more years.

The fast way: split into staves, rough them out as bow blanks, seal the ends, and clamp each blank to a 4X6 to prevent them from warping. Keep them clamped there until dry…about 6 months or so. Or you can floor-tiller the bow blanks and put them back on the clamp..and they should dry within a month or two.

The middle way: Split into quarter staves, seal the ends. Let some staves dry for a few years. Others you can reduce to bow blanks and dry them fast or slow.

The above methods are thumbnail rules, subject to all kinds of factors like climate, RH,  temperature, wood thickness, etc.

Splitting versus kerfing the log: If you think you have a good read on the log, you can kerf it with a circular saw, then split. It'll maximize your log. Don’t saw out staves. You can saw the log in half, I suppose, but I would not saw out staves. You have to follow the grain. Split them out, or do a combination of kerfing, then splitting.

If you have real good skills at reading the wood, you can saw out staves without a problem, but I'm one to opt for the safer route. So it really depends on your level of skill and experience.

I'm one for the slow way, especially since this sounds like quality yew (40+ rings per inch and I assume all other factors look equally as good?)

If I was in a hurry, I'd select one stave from the log and reduce it to a blank, and let it sit clamped to a 4X6 for 6 months or so, and then proceed to slowly craft it from there. As long as the wood is in either quarter stave form, or clamped to a 4X6 as a bow blank, it should not warp. Little skinny staves can warp, so if they are skinny staves, then clamp those as well.

Evaluating yew wood (my website): http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/06/evaluating-yew-wood.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:18:49 pm by shamus »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:53:39 am »
I have worked with yew only a few times and obviously I'm no expert. The only log of yew I've worked was the one Don sent me. I split it because it was checked when I got around to working it and that is the only way I could have gone with that log. Listen to the guys that are familiar with yew...although you still have a few options from what they are saying.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »
well i got it done.i hand split my 3 yew logs and got 5 good staves.and one stave come out short about 42 inches it will make an idian bow.it was alot of sweet but worth the effort.i was really surprised how the logs split so well.thanks guys..know i just have to wait maybe 6 months before going at it.later john