Author Topic: "No Nonsense"  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Kegan

"No Nonsense"
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:19:51 pm »
Few picks of  bow I whipped up from an older bow that never made it to the shooting stage. I needed a bow pretty badly and this is what I came up with. Took about two hours, and some drying time.

Heat-treated hickory (was heat treated before I redid it), cloth wrap over leather build up handle,modern walnut stain and deer fat "finish", 66" long, a little over 70# at 28" (my draw length is 27.5"), has taken about 1 1/2" of set, depsite a tiller that always looks a little out-of-whack. This bow shoots hard and fast none the less. Handle is a ittle over 1 1/8" wide, limbs are 1 1/2" wide (which shows me just what properly cured, heat treated hickory is capable off).  I was going to do some fancy stuff to make it a looker, but this bow seemed to have the name "No Nonsense" all through the building process, and it won't tolerate any laziness on my behalf while shooting either. It requires more concentration and care to shoot than my 6' longbows, but it's a good, accurate stick, even out to 50 yards.

In the photos you'll not a spot in the top limb that looks pretty badly hinged- that's just the way wood is there. The other side makes it look stiff there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: "No Nonsense"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:14 pm »
looks like a good weapon. no frills, i like the nocks too. i can appreciate some pretty nock overlays, but thoes ones are deffinately no nonsense. good job man.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:09:58 pm »
Aptly named Kegan looks like it will make meat to me :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:19:05 pm »
Nice bow, Keegan. Looks like an excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:49 pm »
nice utilitarian bow you got there.  look at it this way, now you wont be upset when you scrape it up in the brush whilst draggin out a deer. ;D  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:49:06 pm »
I like the tiller on that one. I can't see you needing a bow very badly though :o  It seems as though you make one a week. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:03:43 am »
As always, I'm impressed. I love the  simplicity of your bows and this one  takes the cake! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Phillip K

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:42:02 am »
Keegan, are the Noks on opposing sides or are they on the same left or right?
Nice Bow and your Explanation,you seem to be a Gentleman and a scholar. ;)PK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:14:08 am »
Nice save,I love doing that on old bows,give it new life. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:31:04 pm »
A true "stick bow" and primitive! Great entry for July Self BOM.
Nice job!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:31:07 pm »
Thanks everyone fo the kind words :)!

Phillip K- gthe nocks are on the same side of each tip, so they cross across the bow at the center. Like some of the Native AMerican bows with single nocks (they were really on to something!)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:42:17 pm »
...the same side of the tips but either side of the bow?      ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
Looks like it came in a little under weight for you.  ;D  Its a great looking bow Kegan.  No nonsense is just my style.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Phillip K

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:58:47 pm »
Pat I think Keegan meant this way.
Keegan let me know if I'm wrong.PK
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:14:00 am by Phillip K »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:51:41 pm »
PK's got it. I've had a tough time describing these things ever since I've started using them. You cut the notch out of the right side of the tip (or left) when looking at the back. Flip the bow end for end and do it again, on the same side (right), so that it crosses the bow. Or... you cut them on opposite sides of the bow. I guess it depends on if you look at the whole bow, or just each tip individually. As much fun to try and desipher as it is for to to write :D?

Justin- It did ;D! But being slightly shorter, I figured I'd let it slide :D.