Author Topic: 4th Bow 1st Tri-lam  (Read 3763 times)

Offline akbowman

4th Bow 1st Tri-lam
« on: July 05, 2008, 02:59:16 pm »
For Christmas this last year my brother-in-law gave me two gifts. One was a Hickory self bow that he made, and the other was an introduction to bowyery which has become more of an obsession than a hobby. I am truley greatful for both. For the past several years I have been trying to persude my brother-in-law in to joining me for my other obsession which is elk hunting in Idaho, this year we finally are going to make that hunt. I made this bow for him to repay him for the great gifts. While building it I kept day dreaming of elk hunting and a special place where many an elk bugle has been heard, "Long Canyon" I cant wait to take my brother-in-law up that canyon with this bow.
This bow was a challenge for me to say the least. Its bow number #4 for me, but other than a simple hickory backed maple, its the only one ive made that was laminated at all. I learned some good lessons in patience. It is Bamboo backed, Bubinga core, and Maple belly. Tips are fossilised Mastadon tusk ivory. It is 66" KNK.  55# at 28". Hope you enjoy, i certainly enjoyed building it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline akbowman

Re: 4th Bow 1st Tri-lam
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:00:48 pm »
Bonus Picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:02:22 pm »
this is a beautiful bow... good luck and straight shooting to the both of you .....
death by natural causes

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:05:25 pm »
Great looking bow there buddy. I'm sure it will be as incredible of a hunt as you anticipate.  Its great that you can share this with your family, even if it is  a brother in law.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline akbowman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:08:56 pm »
Thanks Justin, Im hoping that one of these days ill be tromping around flat top chasing mulies with one of my bows. Cheers

Phillip K

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 03:16:31 pm »
I like yer Handle design and the tree's,Ivory is great to work with.I got some Piano Key Venners I was thinkin of laminating just not sure what glue to use, got a clue?  This is better than watching New yankee work shop,of coarse I don't watch TV anymore. O:)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:20:16 pm by Phillip K »

Offline akbowman

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:28:34 pm »
Phiilip, I used Tite bond and roughed up the glue side of the ivory with 60 grit sand paper. Seems to be permanent. Ill let you know if they fly off.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:26:57 pm »
Nice Job!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:08:34 am »
Man thats a sweet looking bow and the gesture is grand. I love to make stuff for others
the smile on their face is always great.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 07:19:55 am »
Pretty bow,nice job on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 07:39:58 am »
Sweet looking bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 12:27:52 pm »
You have made a really fine laminate bow. Bookmarked for July, too!
Cool arrow shot.
Sheesh - your weather looks like Juneau where my brother lives.  Guess I'll have to endure it in August when I fish for silvers off his boat on the back side of Admiralty Island
When you're retired, every day is Saturday