Author Topic: Elm recurve from "junk" wood  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Elm recurve from "junk" wood
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:15:12 pm »
So i spent some time in the last couple weeks slowly working a piece of elm.  I tried to give this piece of elm away for the past year and no one would take it, it had a bit of twist and and had some knots, but i told everyone  that the centerline was good, stop looking at the stave and look at the bow inside it.  well no one would take it so i started playing with it and this is what i got out of it, not bad for "junk" wood eh?

62" ntn   and pulls  46# @ 28"   carved from Winged Elm
  the tip overlays are Osage. it took little- no set.  this one is a real beauty, its smooth as glass and the centerline is perfect.  im thrilled with it. unfortunately i dont care for bows under 55# so i will most likely let this one go.  it really likes my lighter spined cane arrows, it spits them out pretty well. it doesnt like my heavy poplar shafts though..hehe ::)
     thanks for looking at it.- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PeteC

Re: Elm recurve from "junk" wood
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:32:23 pm »
That's a nice recurve Ryan.Did you use steam or dry heat on the bends?     God Bless,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline benjamin

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:00:07 pm »
I wish I had junk like that.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:21:37 pm »
Great looking bow Ryan.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:22:50 pm »
t.l.

thats a sweeeeeet looking stick ya got thar.

looks like a good shooter, i like em plain and functionable,love them recurves,tight like that awesome.

i've only tried recurves once so far,on a little piece of osage i call "sliver",they looked about that tight also(need to finish that one up yet)

keep them plain janes coming,i like em

peace,
                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:35:47 pm »
Hey Ryan, I'll take that twisty, knotty piece of winged elm off your hands. ;D  Very nice bow.  Shes a beauty!      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:41:10 am »
Sweet Bow Ryan.....just goes to show You....that there is a Bow in most pieces of Wood....just begging to come out!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 12:51:59 am »
Dang Ryan, man your really pumping out some beauties!! Love those lines and the tiller looks to be perfect, hmm, hmm, hmm.....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 12:54:42 am »
Must have Bankers Hours...or Idependantly Wealthy......heck I havent got time to sit and work on nuthin...and the weekend is over......And you are pumping out two ta three bows a week...........Man!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:52 am »
Nice bow Ryan. You are cranking them out lately !  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 01:43:53 am »
thanks fellas,
Pete-  I use steam to bend the tips, i dont have as much luck with dry heat on the tight bends.

I work a typical job, 40 hours a week.  to be honest  its a horrible job to have in this FL summer and i am doing everything i can to get out from under my mortgage and move to Montana.
   I about kill myself at work everyday but I am one of those people who has to constantly be working on something, making bows, knapping, arrows.....all takes my mind off the miserable place we call "The Sunshine State"  I hate to work for someone else but i enjoy working on my own stuff, so i go and go and go and then all the sudden crash, out like a light for 6 or 7 hours and then back at it again. come hell or high water or burn the house down you aint gonna wake me up.
    AND THIS WEEK I HAD AN EXTRA DAY OFF!. i finished the recurve, almost got another lam bow done (pics coming soon), made a set of arrows for a friend and knapped a few points...  so now its time to crash, we will see what tomorrow brings..lol- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 08:03:57 am »
Nice bow it really came out well, I for one love elm and would gladly have taken the stave offin yer hands :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 01:23:31 pm »
Ryan, That is a sweet bow, and it will be even faster in the dry air of Montana..Elm likes that dry air...

Rich-likes elm... ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 02:46:56 pm »
Another real nice looking bow Ryan!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:02 am »
Beautiful bow,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good