Author Topic: Hornbow question  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Boro

Hornbow question
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:08:04 am »
Could a hornbow be made using deer horn (it is not a horn really) if straight enough could be found?
Boro ???
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hornbow question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:00 am »
Boro, Native Americans did make elk antler bows(sinew backed) but I believe they were mostly ceremonial. I believe some of the Arctic tribes made bows using caribou antlers with sinew cables for backings.  With all the work involved I believe I would opt for real horn and not antler. Others may have different ideas about this.         Pat

ps. Welcome to Primitive Archer!!! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:37:47 am »
Jim Hamm and Reginald Laubin both have written about making elk antler bows, and if I remember correctly, both seem to agree that they're a pain in the butt to make and don't really perform all that well when you get them made.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:49:58 pm »
i'm sure robustus has made one.  he's the one to ask.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 09:47:01 pm »
I've never made one.....but the ones I've seen are more sinew than horn.  Maybe 80% sinew?

To answer your question, yes, I think it would work.  And who says you need to make a full sized bow?  Try a miniature...maybe 16" long with 8" draw length?

Just like any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.....I think any bow will work with enough sinew on the back. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »
actaully  fellows ,you have to make several of the antler bows to get the hang of them,my first three were totally wack,a waste of a lot of good sinew and elk antler.basically  i soaked the antlers for two weeks.after cutting out the limbs,they will be very soft and supple,you can almost bend them  to a knott.after getting  the bends in the limbs i added a thin hickory core then sinew .they have to be a little larger in size than most composites, the last two i made came out really nice,shot good,the physical weight was a liitle much though.and you have to baby them a little more than other bows too.their quite much more eidible to varments.the ram horn bows are my favorite of all,a lot more challenge to build.

Offline Boro

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:33:49 am »
Well guys, thanks for Your replys, that question poped into my mind becaouse in my country it is a bit hard to find horns and tendons (bowhunting is forbidden here) but antlers are everywhere :)
I guess I will gather some expirience with selfbows first and than maybe some day :P
Thanks anyway
Boro
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »
actaully  fellows ,you have to make several of the antler bows to get the hang of them,my first three were totally wack,a waste of a lot of good sinew and elk antler.basically  i soaked the antlers for two weeks.after cutting out the limbs,they will be very soft and supple,you can almost bend them  to a knott.after getting  the bends in the limbs i added a thin hickory core then sinew .they have to be a little larger in size than most composites, the last two i made came out really nice,shot good,the physical weight was a liitle much though.and you have to baby them a little more than other bows too.their quite much more eidible to varments.the ram horn bows are my favorite of all,a lot more challenge to build.

i think BooRoo (and i) would not mind if you posted some (extremly detailed) pictures of these bows!!!  ;D ;D ;D
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Boro

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:20 pm »
I concure heh heh ;D
Zagreb, Croatia