Author Topic: Cane arrow help  (Read 10939 times)

Offline Don

Re: Cane arrow help
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 08:37:28 pm »
Thanks jackcrafty, Thats what I needed. The steps ;D.
I haven't had time to do anything with these, they've been bundled for the last two weeks.
And I hope they will still be able to be straightened after another few weeks.
We've been working the floods here in Iowa none stop and I haven't had time for this.
Thanks for everyone help.  :) Don

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:05:50 am »
HEy Don,

That stuff is NOT rivercane.  It is bamboo.  The bamboo I have seen usually has a much more dramatic taper than the rivercane I use.  But don't worry.  It will most likely work for arrows.  The only thing that matters is how well it shoots off your bow.  If it flies perfectly, then that's all that matters.  I would reduce the nodes somewhat, but not too much.  If you scrape the nodes so their diameter is even with the bamboo on either side of it, the strength will be seriously compromised and they will break there if they hit a glancing blow. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Don

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 12:18:55 am »
Thanks Billy.
 I've set them to the side for now, trying some Lowe's Boo, which work good.
 This Miss. stuff has some really big nodes and where there should be leaves there is limbs. I'll keep messing with it though.
 Thank again. Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 12:44:59 am »
 It's not cane, Hillbilly nailed it the first time. It makes good arrows but I've found it works best if you pull it down and cut the tops out. It doesn't start flat sideing as quick up there. And you can grind the bejeezes out of those nodes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:55:39 am »
I would reduce the nodes somewhat, but not too much.  If you scrape the nodes so their diameter is even with the bamboo on either side of it, the strength will be seriously compromised and they will break there if they hit a glancing blow.   

I've never found this to be true at all. I've made hundreds of cane arrows, and I always take the nodes down even. I don't want bumps sticking out to hit the bow. I've so far never broken a cane arrow shooting it after shooting them by the thousands, and that's saying something as I'm a horrible shot and seem to have a gift for dead centering (and glancing blows) off rocks, trees, and suchlike. I've seen examples of bowstrings made from split cane in which the nodes were smoothed down even, and if it was that weak, it sure wouldn't last as a bowstring. The only time I break cane at the nodes is occasionally by overheating and bending too fast while straightening them.  I do the major straightening before smoothing the nodes as they are a weak spot when you heat them. Otherwise, I've never had any trouble, and I can sure break me some wooden arrows in a hurry. The weakest point on a cane arrows is still ten times stronger than the best commercial POC shaft.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »
What hillbilly said above. I have used bamboo for the last 5 years and have never had a problem with the nodes. If you over heat them, they do  come apart .
"aim small, miss small"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 12:53:08 pm »
Thanks for the Headsup....Hillbilly....I am in the Process of working down a couple dozen Cane Shafts that Cowboy gave me....and I was wondering how far you could sand and scrape the Nodes down....and I believe you about the Strength....because POC is like Balsa Wood...you sure cant glance it off another Arrow....or hit a fence or rock with it....you may as well just get the Point and toss the rest!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 02:29:45 pm »
All the cane arrows I've shot have never broken . I've only had two that split.  I don't think you could break a cane arrow completely into shooting it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:19 pm »
I don't think you could break a cane arrow completely into shooting it.

I BET I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>:D >:D >:D

The Wife say I can
                                                                          @#$% Up A %^& DREAM!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Far East Archer

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 01:41:27 am »
Yes, Hillbilly was right about the type of bamboo. It is often imported here from China (rather close) for the use of gardening stakes and such. I don't use it for arrows as I can get better types locally in the forests, however the one time I did use it, it worked OK.

Don't be afraid to sand the nodes flat guys! Every Asian archery culture has been doing just that for centuries and I'm sure if it was certain to break the arrow they wouldn't do it, ya?  :)

Anyways, once you get the technique down, you will be able to get pipe straight arrows in a few minutes. Such as this:

This arrow is 32 inches long and has 3 nodes in it. As you can see, the nodes do not stick out, and the shaft is really smooth  >:D

Alex ....bamboo is better.....

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 03:11:05 am »
DAMN.......I got a Long Ways to go....when it comes to straightening a piece of Cane!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome