Author Topic: making bows again  (Read 2612 times)

Offline sailordad

making bows again
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:11:20 am »
well got to thinking the other day,wife says i shouldnt do that cause it  gives me nose bleeds.  shes a funny lady sometimes  but i love her anyhow.

said to myself "self,summer is all but over. next thing ya know its gonna be bow season, what are ya going  to hunt with. i hope i aint going to have to use my training wheels again. NO I AM A BIG BOY NOW, I DONT NEED TRAINNG WHEELS!!"

since both my sons were doing their thing during the day on the 4th, i decided to get busy on a bow kit my loving wife bought me for my b-day back in feb.
its a boo/hickory reflex/deflex bow.( i know some of ya say that this aint exactly making it by yourself,well tuff cause i aint looking a gift horse in the mouth,its still a bow)
so i mixed up some bow grip 100 and went to town gluiing it up and put it in the heat box for 4 hrs to cook the glue,and then let it sit and cool for another 20 hours,actually got busy with a couple bottles of wine and box of fire works lol.

well so far this is what ive got,never glued my own bow up before. so i hope she dont go POP on me.
the glue lines look pretty good,little thick at the handle but since it aint going to bend there i think she'll be alright.

i really am hoping to get this one finished in time for bow season. nice thing is season stats first part of sept. and goes untill the end of the year here in Mn.

well wish me luck,cause i'm not the most speedy when it comes to making these things. i always seem to get going good on one,then it gets close to being finished and it gets put aside
so i can start the next one but i never seem to finish them all the way.  well at least bow season is good and long,should be able to get it done by the last day of the season lol

peace,
                                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

Re: making bows again
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:51:25 am »
good luck, bro

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:15 am »
Looks pretty good for a sotahead ;) :D Yer season opens sept 1? ours opens oct 1 and runs till Jan 1 excepting the 2 weeks of idiot season in nov.

How tall were the blocks on your form, I need to make a jig like that, I have some bo and ipe never done a glue up before either, well two but they
were short lived ::)

Put the wine down and pick up da scraper :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Phillip K

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:22:14 am »
Good Morning, Looks good to me,Never tried one of those kits but I think I may do that before my years up.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:52:01 am »
Looking good so far,keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:05 am »
Looks like to much deflex to me. Next time I'd use a shorter center block. If you lose any reflex at all it will follow the string. I only like a inch or two of deflex. Good luck. I'm sure it will still shoot fine for ya.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »
danam:  the blocks on the ends are about 2",the ones in the middle that the handle area rests on are about 1.5"
             this form and bow kit are actually from RUDDERBOWS ARCHERY, so i cant take credit for it, and with all honesty Jim has actually given me all the demensions
             and info to help me make this one.

i know some on here dont care for him or his product,however i've never had a bad issue with him or his stuff as of yet.

peace,
                                                                              tim

just got off the dnr site, season starts 1/2 hr before sunup on sept. 13th, dang i gotta get busy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:27:00 am by Pappy »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd