Author Topic: Cookin' Brauts and Rocks on the 4th  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Cookin' Brauts and Rocks on the 4th
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
We had a great get-together here at the Chase Ranch on the 4th.  While I had my smoker/grill fired up, I did some heat treating of rocks that Cowboy gave me back in December.  I placed the rocks in play sand in roasting pans.  I let the sand sit over night with a fan blowing over it to dry out the moisture. 

On the morning of the 4th, I fired up the grill side of the smoker early with Charcoal.  I put more sand on the top of the rocks and then placed them in the smoker.  There the temperature rose from ambient (about 95 degrees) to over 250.  It stayed there for several hours.  When it came lunch time, I used the fire to cook up some burgers and brauts.  :)

When I was done cooking, I built up the fire with wood and then placed the pans with the rocks directly on the grill rack above the fire.  Since the thermometer is on the smoker side, I don't know the temperature in the grill/fire box, but I assume it's somewhere between 500 and 600 degrees.  I kept the fire stoked for a couple of hours.

After cleaning up the firework debris the next morning,   :'( I took the pans off the grill and pulled the rocks out of the sand.  They were still warm.  I only had one that blew off a small sliver but the rest survived and took the heat very well.   :)

I ran some test flakes and rock that was once very difficult is now pretty easy to work.  I was able to take some round nodules that were like bricks and run long flakes off and actually thin down some pretty nice preforms.  The stuff that looked like root bear is actually pretty easy to work now too.  All of the rocks took on a slight color change and is a little waxier. 

Overall it was worth the effort.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

Re: Cookin' Brauts and Rocks on the 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:49 am »
Way to make dual use of the grill Mike, the rocks look good but the brats look even better ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:21 am »
Here's some more pictures.  The rocks laid out are after heating.  The oblong nodule in the upper left corner is the one that blew off a sliver.  The one with the flakes on the ground are some of the test flakes I ran.  Before heating, the rock that I ran the flakes off was nearly impossible to get anything to run.  As you can see from the pictures, the flakes are now pretty long and thin.  

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:43 am »
Allright Mike - your making me hungry ;D. Glad that worked out for ya. It's amazing how much easier that HT can make a rock work. I'm sure it weaken's the rock a little by making it more dry and brittle but they'll still go through a rib bone without breaking - tough enough in my book :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:28:57 pm »
Absolutely Paul.  That Texas rock is still tough for sure.  Just now it wields to the knapper a little easier.

Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:37:18 am »
Now you are thinking,why wast the heat. :) Brats,man I love brats. ;D Nice rock also.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good