Author Topic: juniper and backings  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Dave Scherbel

juniper and backings
« on: July 14, 2008, 03:36:11 pm »
Is a fiber backing a good idea for juniper?  Also, I was wondering where you all get your sinew from.

Papa Matt

Re: juniper and backings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »
We either trade somebody else on here for it if they have something we need, or else buy it from someone who deals in it, or kill a deer ourself and cut the sinew out personally, which I do. I have some I'm looking to trade with someone for a snakeskin to back my bow.

-Matt

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
 daveyboy, Sinew is great for juniper as well as some of the tougher fish skins.  Sturgeon,lingcod,and halibet all work good. You can also back with bamboo but it's easy to overpower the juniper with bamboo. I think sinew is best. Call around to your local meat processers  and sometimes they will save the sinew for you. elk and deer are best but you can use bovine (Cattle). Hope that helps. Keenan

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:56:00 am »
Keenan's advise is good....but the local processors around here don't save the sinew (and they give me funny looks when I ask) ::)  I think I might try asking for the whole legs next time?

Anyway, I usually buy mine from merchants who advertise in PA magazine, or trade for it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:59 am »
Yeah trying to get sinew from the local meat processor is like asking them for $100. They don't save it, and the only way they will save it is if you beg them to and maybe have to even offer them a little money. The best way to get sinew is to cut it out yourself, if you hear of someone you know getting a deer, give them a call right away and ask them to save all 4 legs for you, to cut off all the meet they want, be sure they understand you only want the bones with everything in tact except the meet. Then you take them home and very carefully, pull off the skin (the fresher they are the easier this is), and flex the bare bones at the joints so as to watch where the tendons are and how they run. This way, if you do it right you can get some 10"-20" leg sinew out of an adult deer (when they dry they shrink somewhat and harden, but should still be 10-16" long). With a little practice and patience you can process the sinew from an adult deer and get enough for a layer of bow backing. If you don't know anybody that gets a deer, ask the meet processors the same thing, BUT AGAIN--YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL THEM LIKE 10 TIMES THAT YOU ONLY WANT BONE WITH SINEW INTACT, NOT MEAT!!!  And you may have to offer the guy 20 bucks or something as an incentive for the extra work of saving you the legs. Another thing, most people that butcher deer hang them by the very tendons that we seek, so ask them to not sever the tendon in the hanging process.

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:55:40 am »
Oh yeah-- YOU NEED THE ENTIRE LEG, HOOF AND ALL!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:56:59 am »
i get mine from Raptor archery in hood river or.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club