Author Topic: finally, success!!!!  (Read 5204 times)

Offline recurve shooter

finally, success!!!!
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
 Finally, i made a bow. i finally took all yall's advice and quit messing with the drawknife. my grandpa, who i really owe alot to for helping me out so much, bought me a rasp and a bandsaw. well, he needed the saw too. but anyway. i aint got a camera, so i cant post pics, but here are the stats. it is 71 inches long, made form a redoak 1by2. i left it almost full width, rounded the edges, and tapered from midlimb out to the nocks. it draws 60 lbs at 28 inches. and is a bendy handle. it is far from perfect, it is heavy, took alot of set, and the tips weigh a ton, but im proud of it. its actually a really fast shooter, and i love it.

thanx for alll the help. i finally got the hang of this.

oh, also, i learned a new tip on tillering. scrible pencile on the belly and just scrape untill the pencile is gone, and check tiller. anyway, just wanted to tell yall.
lets just shoot it

Offline Apex Predator

Re: finally, success!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:46 pm »
Good job man.  If it makes you happy, then it's a success!
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:18:16 pm »
Good Job.....Wish We could see it.......Now there is only one thing .....from here on out ....you will only get better...so enjoy this Bow....and plan for your Next....because you know there will be one!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:44:06 pm »
thanx. i wish i could get some pics up. got to get a cammera. as far as i cant tell the tiller is good, but it may bend a little too much in the handle, which i dont get cuz i didnt really take any wood off it. huh. anyway, like i said, it wouldnt have been possible without all the info from yall and this sight. thanx again. i think my dad wants me to make him one now. he is still shooting a weelie bow, which i dont get cuz he has a naturall knack for shooting trad. bows. we gotta fix that now dont we?  ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:22 am »
Congrats on your new bow. RS  Its a good feeling to get a shooter and as was said above this won't be your last or best. ;) 8)
   The reason it is bending so much in the handle area is because that is where all the stresses are. Each limb acts like a lever and the center of the bow is where it will bend. By tapering the width and thickness you strengthen the center(handle area) by weakening, in a planned, graduated process, the rest of the limb so it has an even bend when drawn. This even bend spreads the stresses through out the entire limb surface instead of only at the handle.     Pat

ps.  This is also why glued on handles pop off. If the handle area bends at all,the glue joint will fail so if the bow isn't tillered correctly and the handle area isn't left thick, the handle will bend and..... :o pop!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

wanabehunter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:05:45 am »
Congratz, Im working on a bow atm.. ive had like 7 failures  ??? lol

I think ill get it with this one!@

gl in the future you will only get better

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58:40 am »
lol. wanabehunter, i  have no idea how many i screwed up :-[. the key, as everyone els will tell you and i finally learned.

GO VERRY VERRY SLOWLY!!  ;)

good luck.
lets just shoot it

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:02:52 am »
Congratulations on your success! Feels good to shoot an arrow from your first bow! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:13:08 am »
Congrats.  Nothing beats shooting a bow that you made yourself.  Good job.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:42:31 am »
What Pat said on the bending to much in the handle,but congrats on the finished bow,nothing like your first ,it's been a while but I still remember mine and it's a great feeling,kind of like your first
deer. :) or first #$$%^^& O NEVER MIND. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
lol. now remember this is a family sight.   ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:00:01 pm »
Congrats! It's probabaly not bending too much in the handle. Seems it's easy to think so with D bows. If it's fast, then it's probably tillered right ;D! Like everyone said, it only gets better form here!

radius

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »
well, pappy, it's not quite like the first (*^%^*&  ... but it's pretty good, anyway!

way to go, RC...proud of ya!

Scott

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 06:44:11 pm »
Glad for ya recurve :). I remember spending hours seeing how high I could fling arra's with my first one, wanted to see how far they'd go and have been hooked ever since. Oh, that one took a ton of set and looked like $$^& but I was a happy camper ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:52 pm »
yeah, mine is kinda going the same way. and its to fat, if ya havent read my other post.
lets just shoot it