Author Topic: HICKORY WAMPANOAG BOW  (Read 41257 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
HICKORY WAMPANOAG BOW
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:35:06 pm »
 Well....I still haven't had the Ambition to finish either one of My Sinewed Bows I have started....but I was looking at this Hickory rough cut Board that my Brother gave me last year with all of the Birdseye he cut for me....and I decided that I had time to make me another Paddle Bow of Sorts.....so I went to work on it Friday evening...and just finished this Morning and have been shooting it in for the last two hours.....shoots great.....very little noticeable Hand Shock....in fact it's more of a slight push...than a vibration....Hickory works great down here....because there is next to no Humidity here to effect Hickory.....

The Bow is 66 inches Long......2 1/4" wide at the widest point of the Limbs....narrowing to 3/4" at the Tips....then I carved in the 3/8" Pin Nocks....I wrapped the Tips with Sinew for added Strength and looks....The Handle area is 1" wide and 1 3/16" thick....I made a Grip out of a piece of Brain Tanned Deer Hide.....

I had a Fancy String Groove Nock cut for the Bottom Limb....but I screwed up....when I strung it once to check Tiller after taking off some Wood....I got in a Hurry....and had the String only in one Groove....the other side was in a Groove of the Fancy Tip I made.....and when I drew it back.....the String Slipped and broke the wood off.....so I Pin Nocked it!! I was Lucky ....huh??

I finished the Bow off with 3 coats of Tallow and Beeswax...heated it in over a Gas burner to soak it in really good This should make a Nice Hunting Bow....It finished out at 56 pounds at 28 inches of draw ........Ain't nothing Fancy.....just a Meat Getter..... I will try to get a Full Draw view on here after My Wife wakes up.....She's working Graveyards!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:38:53 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

Re: HICKORY WAMPANOAG BOW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:18 pm »
The Tips and Grip

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 01:37:44 pm »
Braced View and Full Draw on Tiller Stick

2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:39:50 pm »
that aint no pretty bow!  What's it doing on this site?!?!?  You should know better!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
that my idea of a bow

very functionable,yet it aint gonna win no beauty contest.

excellent job,tiller looks great to me.

when you say the wife works graveyards, do you mean the real late shift,or is she graverobbing to get supplies for ya >:D  lol

keep them "ugly meat makers" coming.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »
That really is a stunning bow, El. I admire your willingness to leave it drawn for so long on a t stick just so we can get a nice look at it. Thanks for sharing. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:04:35 pm »
Nice and simple, well tillered bow, should be quite a good hunter, I like it.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:08:55 pm »
Scott....you instigating little Twit!!! You are trying to make ME come to Canada and whoop yer Arse....ain't cha!!!!

S.D......Thank You....you said it...It wont win No Beauty Contest....but then I don't enter Pageant's either....they are for Girls!!!! And no My Wife aint out robbing Graves for Sinew and Skins for Backing!!! She is working 6 pm to 6 am..... but that is a Thought!!!!

And Jawge......Thank You My Friend.........I really do love the Lines of these Bows....and the Feel of them in your Hand...to me this is a Bow....and I will never change My point of View on them.....and as for leaving it at Full Draw for so Long.... I once took a Red Oak Paddle Bow I made....left it at 26 inches of Draw for 4 Hours....just to see when it would Blow.......and it never did.....never!!! I swear to the All Mighty....I don't believe that there is a more Bullet Proof Primitive designed Bow ever made than these ....they distribute stresses so evenly ...I think you would really have to try to destroy one..

Manny....that is a great compliment coming from You....I can only hope to be able to touch a Piece of Wood....and draw forth such Bows as you do...........You Da Man!!!       
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:27:42 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:56:13 pm »
tell ya what:  i'll meet you in washington, and we can settle this there!  Over some beers!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:17:02 pm »
tell ya what:  i'll meet you in washington, and we can settle this there!  Over some beers!

Make it Portland....and we're on!! That way I can go and see my Oldest Son...they moved from Montessano Washington to Portland
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
how about san fransisco on August 20 to see Radiohead and Beck?  All day concert,  i think , 85 bones...

Offline Dano

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:06 pm »
Cool bow, did you make that quilt too  ::) ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »
Cool bow, did you make that quilt too  ::) ;D

Yeah....I am just an Artsy Fartsy Beauty Pageant Kinda Guy!!!  ::) 8) No but in all seriousness.......the Wife and my Grandmother made all of Our Quilts..... Doilies and Throws......
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dano

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »
I knew it!! ;D Seriously man, those are works of art too. My mother, grand mother, and great granmother quilted, kinda like a sickness yaknow ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 06:07:37 pm »
Hey El
  That's a great looking bow. Is it just me or is 66'' a magic number? It seems to keep showing up.
R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?