Author Topic: Pike a bow?  (Read 6291 times)

Offline bigcountry

Pike a bow?
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:11:30 pm »
I have been reading about shortening a bow length NTN to gain back wieght.  According to Trad Bible vol 1, they say ever 1% you shorten, you gain 5%.  Does that hold true in your experience? 
Westminster, MD

Offline Dano

Re: Pike a bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:16:17 pm »
Don't know about percentage, but for every inch off both tips, I expect a 3 to 5 pound gain.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:32:20 pm »
Yes, the formula in TBB 1 is accurate. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:47:52 pm »
but wouldnt shortening the bow cause other problems, like drawlingth and exessive set form the wood being stressed more?
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:50:43 pm »
Not unless the bow is already so short it is extremely stressed.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »
Good observation RS. It can cause other problems but if everything is already OK then piking should be OK.
Big, Before you cut the bow tips off just add new string grooves below the old ones and string it up, check that everything is OK, exercise it and check the weight. If you need more off do the same again. There is a limit to how much you can pike a bow.   When you get the weight you want(if it is possible with this bow) then cut the excess off the tips and reshape them.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:58:56 pm »
Good observation RS. It can cause other problems but if everything is already OK then piking should be OK.
Big, Before you cut the bow tips off just add new string grooves below the old ones and string it up, check that everything is OK, exercise it and check the weight. If you need more off do the same again. There is a limit to how much you can pike a bow.   When you get the weight you want(if it is possible with this bow) then cut the excess off the tips and reshape them.    Pat

You know I have seen some bows being carried around with two different sets of string nocks.  It looked kinda decorative.  But later found out it was what you said.  Good point thanks
Westminster, MD

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:49:55 pm »
cant say i have ever seen one like that, but not a bad point. might try it one day.
lets just shoot it

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:25:02 am »
My advice is cut a little less than you think.  You can always cut a little more off if you still want more weight, but you can't add any length once you cut. ;D.  I found about 3/4" off of each tip gave me 5# in weight gain.
Traverse City, MI

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:07 am »
About a month ago I cut a new nock below the original. Went to string the bow and it broke at the original nock. The string groove was the weak spot and the extra length from leaving the original nock gave extra leverage to break. :(
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:20 am »
Good thought Lowell ,I never thought about that but could see how it could do that.I have never
tried double nocks but have piked a bunch.I usuall take about an inch off each limb and will usually
pick up 2/3 lbs. per. inch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good