Author Topic: finished! first lam bow ever.  (Read 7178 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

finished! first lam bow ever.
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:07:18 pm »
So i decided to broaden my horizons a bit a build my first lam bow.  its a trilam with IPE back, Oak core (for a strip of light wood), and a cherry belly. the riser is black walnut as are the tips. I sawed all the laminations myself on the table saw. some from lumber some from rough logs. the riser was part of a stave that i squared and then rounded on the band saw.
This was more of a trial and error bow but it still turned out well and very shootable. its deflex shape taught me to induce more reflex.  i induced deflex at the handle but didnt  compensate enough for the reflex...lesson learned. finished in tung oil. i wasnt totally sold on the tiller job, but its close enough for me. as soon as my father saw it, the eye balling started so it now resides at his house..lol
  62"ntn 46# @ 28"

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Re: finished! first lam bow ever.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »
more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »
Nice bow Ryan. I'm suprized the cherry didnt fret with a heavy backing like that.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:16:50 pm »
i think the deflex shape is what saved it, i didnt think much about it til after. there is a pin knot on the limb and it developed a light fret...actually more of a buckle than a fret.  about 3\8 long .but i took a razor and cut a slit down the buckle and put a dab of glue under it and clamped it, let it dry good for 2 days and fixed it.....luckily, sanded it down and now its good, i probably wont try cherry again because of it, but is al i had at the time, i ordered a couple osage slats to saw up for the next one.     like i said kinda a learning experience i guess.  :-\   im just glad it shots..hehe
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:57:04 pm »
looks cool, but i think the fades in the riser are too abrupt...the belly lam looks almost kinked.  I did this before, too, and the thing crapped out on me right where the belly lam (pacific yew) rode up the fades.

Good job otherwise though, nice woodwork.  Do you have a thickness sander or anything like that?  I cut laminations on the table saw, too, but afterwards I run them through a thickness sander.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:08:26 pm »
radius, i agree with you about the fades being abrupt, i didnt have anything really to go by so on the next one i now have a better idea.  i do not have a thickness sander.  i table sawed them out with a finish blade and took out the light lines with a belt sander, suprisingly enough the joints fit together well.  my goal was to make some lam bows without buying expensive laminations or riser blocks. just keep it as cheap as possible.  its not perfected yet, but i think i am on the right path. a couple more and i should be able to produce somthing better.  thanks- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline akila

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:12:51 pm »
Nice bow...and the tiller looks realy gr8....good job ..

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »
I would say that I see negative tiller on that bow,...... is it just the picture or the bottom limb bends more than the top ?

Great woodworking skills, however I hate those handles  ;D ;D ;D, don't take it as criticism , just my preferences ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:53 am »
TwistedLimbs, It is a unique combination, but you made it work, and I'm sure you learned a lot from it..If you have more of those woods, put the hickory on the back, Ipe on the belly and if you want, a little cherry in the middle. :D

Then you will really be having a good time!  I like your enthusiasm, and low key approach...

Rich

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:54 am »
rich:  what do you think of white oak as a bow wood?

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 12:58:27 am »
Cool looking bow, I htink the deflex was the saving factor on the combo you used. next time maybe try the combo that Rcih sugested. For a first attempt I think you cna be proud of that one, good workmanship. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:45:06 am »
Radius, White oak can take some serious abuse, and the heavier wood can make a real nice bow..Like Hickory performs in  the dry air real well gets a little soft in the humid air..

My favorite are American longbow/slender pyramid style 68"+

radius

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:56 am »
rich,
i made a white oak bow a couple years ago, one of my first real shooters.  It was a pyramid about 66" long, 2" wide at the fades...pulls 45# or so but not very fast...you're right about it being sturdy though.   Do you reflex white oak...it seems sluggish and needs a little pick-me-up...

DBernier

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 06:37:01 am »
Hi Radius. Good morning. I did a white oak last year and like you was a "little" dissatisfied with the "speed" at 52#. I put a little reflex in the tips, about 2 inch's and it was like rocket assist takeoff. I gave it to a friend and he is real pleased with it. Wish I took a photo of it. Just a thought.

Dick

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:38:31 am »
Looks like an excellent glue-up. Quite the transition to the handle-took some skill to build this bow. Bookmarked under June Laminate Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday