Author Topic: Pig Sticker - Bowie (More Pics)  (Read 10136 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Pig Sticker - Bowie (More Pics)
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:25:13 pm »
Got enough spare time (and the urge at the same time - LOL) to put another knife together (my fifth). This one is built on an old, unlabeled Bowie blade blank, sent to me by a friend in a trade for materials. I cleaned the blade up some but it could use a lot more. I may not do it though, as it kind of fits the "rough and toumble" effect I was after, the way it is. The handle, I fashioned out of a piece of Elk Antler I got in another trade, two pieces of White Corian, a sort of guard I fashioned from an old piece of brass, and a large brass screw I filed the head flat on, to peg the end cap on (with 60 min epoxy, as is the handle parts). The knife is 12 1/2" oa and weighs a full 2 lbs. Plenty big and tough enough to finish off a hog:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:48:55 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pig Sticker - Bowie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
Very nice, Bernie. So! are you gonna be sticking a pig with this knife? :o      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »
Nice job on that Bernie,beautiful knife.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:34 pm »
LOL, Pat, I don't know - I haven't got to go Pig hunting the last 4 or 5 years. However, back when I did my first (4) knives, a friend asked, "Now let's see a nice big pig-sticker, Bernie," and it got me to thinking about one.

Thanks to both you and pappy for the nice reactions. It really feels good in my hand (as I often say - I have big hands for a little "gnome")
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »
Well, now you have a "nice pig sticker".  8) 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:02:37 pm »
Yeah, thanks, buddy - and the pigs are coming closer in NC all the time, "they" say.

BTW, did you hear about Herb Reynolds (of the Hickory Shoot) passing Mon? I'm sure you did - just made me think of it.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »
Nice pig sticker Bernie. Lots of weight. I like it.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:46 pm »
No Bernie. I didn't hear about Herb. What a great loss to Trad archery!!!..and every one that knew Herb.  :( :( :(   Thanks for the info.      Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:49:46 pm »
Good looking knife, Bernie.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:12:30 pm »
That's a hefty looking knife Bernie, I likes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ber643

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »
Thank you Dick, Hb, and mullet. Pat I posted about Herb (from NCBA) on Tg in a couple places.

Since I spoke of the fit in hand, in some threads, and earlier on some folks had said they liked to see a knife in hand:

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:22:50 am »
wow. nice. i only have two concerns about it.

1. the handle looks to be two large to be comfortable.

2. with no guard, you better hold on tight, or your hand will slide up the blade and youl be bleeding like a stuck pig. (pun definently intended) :o  :D
lets just shoot it

Offline ber643

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:09:56 am »
Actually, rs, the handle is really comfortable. It is oval shaped, top to bottom, and narrower at the bottom than it looks in those angles - but for the other part (safety) you are dead-on. I just posted this on another site:

Yep, when I first fashioned that Brass piece, I had every intention of taking the fore-end of the antler down more behind it (to form a guard). However, when I got it to the stage to try the handle on, it looked so darned good, I forgot the protection part, and just decided not to re-shape it that much. Then when I was taking the pics, I thought, "Yikes, now look what you've done - gonna have to be extra careful using that thing," - it's sharp too! I need to get (or get better at making) more assorted guards. I've picked up a fair amount of little Brass gee-gaws (cheap at yard sales, etc.) to cut up and file. Just gotta remember to do it, do it, do it - right.

I hate to think of changing it but I may have to re-shape that foreend yet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:31:24 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »
well, as long as you got a real good grip on it you should be fine. and i couldnt tell the handle was oval, from that description it dose sound real good. great knife man. i need to learn how to make me one.
lets just shoot it

Offline ber643

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:09 pm »
Thank you, rs, I just started this past winter (with the help of folks on the forums), and it's a lot of fun and satisfaction (especially if you like knives like I always have). My suggestion is, start with blade blanks and just do assembly. There are lots of good instructions on the internet. Then if you have time later you might get into forging. If I had started younger I'm sure I would want to get into forging too but I love just making them up with other folks blades. Get your feet wet, you'll like it.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC