Author Topic: Elm & Hickory PICTURES  (Read 4564 times)

Offline hawksnest88

Elm & Hickory PICTURES
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »
Yesterday Chessieboy and I cut an Elm & a Shag Bark hickory  to split for bow wood to use later when dry.  Chessieboy did most of the cutting and splitting, but I did watch.  ;D  We cut them on my property, and there are lots more if any of you guys live close to Shermans Dale, PA.  They split fine, the Elm is a little tougher, and the bark came off for the most part in one big piece. We split 5 logs yesterday, and there are 3-4 more to do yet. They are beautiful staves and each should make two bows.  Bill G.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:59:45 pm by hawksnest88 »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Elm & Hickory PICTURES
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:19:05 pm »
Nice haul ! I'm not familar with Shermans Dale, PA What are you close to? I live in the north west corner of the state about 30 miles south of lake Erie. If your not to far we should get together sometime.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:29:45 pm »
Nice haul! Hope ya'll sealed all that up good, back and ends. Probably not as dry as TX but only takes a few minutes to start checking down here :P.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:36:46 pm »
Yes, Paul makes a good point. Make sure you seal the ends with something. No need to seal the back on hickory and elm though, at least not here.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:50:16 pm »
shermans dale aint far from me hawksnest, i think my dads friends live there...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawksnest88

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:58:34 pm »
Ryano, Shermans Dale is 12 miles north of Carlisle, and 20 miles west of Harrisburg, in SC PA.  We have about 4 or 5 self bowyers close around here.  We build and shoot, hickory & osage, selfbows, board bows, BBO, BBH, hickory backed IPE, glam, and all sorts of bows.
Huntertrapper, PM me and I'll give ya particulars to my place.  Bill

PS  Yes, I sealed the ends.  BG
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:04:34 pm by hawksnest88 »

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »
I know Shermans Dale.  Did some archy surveys for three bridges along Shermans Creek a few years ago.  Thats nice country around there. A little more rugged terrain than a lot of central pa.

Dave

Offline hawksnest88

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:57:04 pm »
I know Shermans Dale.  Did some archy surveys for three bridges along Shermans Creek a few years ago.  Thats nice country around there. A little more rugged terrain than a lot of central pa.

Dave

They built two new ones last year, and are building 3 more this year, all over Shermans Creek. I border 3/4 mile of the Creek.  Bill

Offline HFD60

• HFD60'S PHOTO'S
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:03:31 pm »
Hey Hawksnest.....I'm just outside of Harrisburg ( Piketown) and would like to meet up with some one thats into building bows....I've been tinking of trying one but not sure where to start...would really appreciate any help ;)

Rich
Rich Bistline
Harrisburg, PA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »
ENVY! :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline RAU

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:07 am »
I know shermansdale too. I lived in Loysville for a year or so. Ive since moved back closer to home in Exeter Township, luzerne co,Pa(about 10 miles north of Wilkes-Barre. Any of you Pa. guys know where I can cut some osage? I know where theres some in lebabon co. but its along a railroad right of way and I dont want to get in trouble w/ the railroad. I know ive seen some in adams and franklin county but it was on private land and at the time i didnt have time to track down the landowner and ask permission to cut. Its a 2+ hour drive down to the dauphin,perry,adams county area but id gladly make the trip to cut some osage. Theres none I can find around here.  Any help from any of you Pennsylvani guys would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Offline hawksnest88

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 06:33:51 pm »
RAU, we cut a few osage trees last fall in Cumberland county. osage is much harder to find around here than hickory & elm which are all over my property. The osage we cut was on private property, but a friend of mine ( Chessieboy) got permission to cut some.
HFD60, I sent you an email with my numbers.  Bill

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:35:56 am »
I live in potter county up on the Ny/Pa border and the only osage ive ever seen here was in a fence row. i went back a couple weeks later to see if i could cut it, and the farmer "expanded" his field, and burned everything in the fence row in the process. :'(
totally ruined my week!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.