Author Topic: stave question  (Read 4900 times)

Clint Brown

stave question
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
Hi I live in western Kentucky and am wanting to cut a tree for some stave's. I plan on making a self bow. The trees I have access to are hickory, locust, ash, elm, and Osage are here but have no access to one. Hickory or locust would be easy for me to find. One more thing, I have a persimmon that lighting hit. Would it make a good bow?
Thanks Clint

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: stave question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:06 pm »
Clint, either hickory or locust would be good options. If it were me, I'd take the hickory. This time of year the bark peels off easily and your bows back in underneath. No chasing a ring.
   When you cut the tree, split the log at least in half seal the ends and peel the bark off.  You could take it down further to staves to help it dry quicker.
  If the persimmon has recently been lightning struck I'd say use it. I think I would cut and split it and see whats inside.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:39:11 pm »
 Clint, All the above would make a good bow. If you already have  the Persimmon, I'd make one out of it. It is Whitewood , so all you have to do is take the bark off, and shape it into a bow. Being whitewood you don't have to worry about following a growth ring, so it is easier for a beginner. Persimmon is a pretty wood when finished but prone to twisting. But we can walk you through steaming and straightening. It's not that hard and is good experiance.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:11 am »
Any of the above make good bows, why limit yourself to one? :) Gas the saw and start a stave collection. With any of the whitewoods, try to get the bark off as soon as possible to avoid wood boring bugs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:32 am »
All are good wood,I have made good bow for all of that,one word of warning on the lighten struck wood,be very careful when you put the saw in it,it can and most times will do some crazy things.
Don't want to loose anyone. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:42 am »
After you pop the bark off, you'll want to remove the cambium layer by lightly scrapping it off. Then seal the back (surface the bark was attached too), and the ends. The idea is to have the moisture escape from the wood through the splits. Otherwise you'll get cracks in the back. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:23:38 am »
cut them all.

Hickory, elm, ash: cut, split into staves, pull the bark off while it's wet. Shellac the ends and back of the stave.

Locust and Osage: cut, split into staves, work the backs to one growth ring ASAP, shellac the ends and especially the back of the stave. Getting the bark and sapwood off osage will keep the wood grubs away but you'll have to shellac the back of the stave thoroughly to prevent checking.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:24 pm »
I'd take black locust over hickory, but it is more work in removing the sapwood and chasing a ring.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:04 pm »
we used to use black locust for fence posts. the stuff will out live you and is practicly bullet proof. it might take a little more work to get a bow from, but i think it would be worth it.

the hickory is always great. i have a elb out of hickory and it is my primary hunting bow. which ever one you choose, be sure to keep us updated.

good luck friend. ;)
lets just shoot it

Clint Brown

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »
Thanks every one!
I found a locust tree that I can get to but it is not a straight tree, kinda curvy.
I am going to get the persimmon thee this after noon.
See ya
Clint

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:25 pm »
I would also take the Locust over Hickory, but that's just me. I've had great results with Locust and I really like working it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:26 pm »
Locust is a hard wood, but hickory is indestructible!

Cut a tree, split it up, peel off the bark (hey look, there's the back all nice and clean ;D!), and thin it some, to prevent warping/checking (about 1 1/2" thick in the middle, 1" at the ends), full width. Let 'em sit to dry for a while in a warm, dry spot. I have never had smaller hickory staves check on the back, so I would say just forget about sealing it, as it would be troublesome to remove later (you could do the ends if ou're worried though). The rest, except elm, can check without sealent though.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »
i aint tree racist. i love anything that wil kill a deer. i just think that the locust would be a mean bow.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »
HIckory works real well but it can be kinda hard to get dry here in Ky. At least in the spring and summer. The stuff I cut in the fall and let dry through the winter does well. Either one will work well it just depends on how much work you wanna do. Personally I love hickory cause I got it everywhere and it can take a heck of a lot of abuse.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:41:53 pm »
 why must you be so lucky and me so unlucky? :'( all i got here is ironwood and oak. which are a pain to work.
lets just shoot it