Author Topic: Pennsylvania Osage  (Read 2850 times)

Offline RAU

Pennsylvania Osage
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:05 pm »
Hi guys. I live in North East Pennsylvania, Exeter to be exact which is about 8 miles north of Wilkes-Barre. Im looking for some Osage to cut. As far as I know theres none near me. I work for PennDOT and was working in the Harrisburg area for a couple years and know theres some down there, especially around adams and franklin counties. I also know where theres some really nice big straight trees along a railroad in Lebabon County but they obviously cant be cut. Anyone on here able to point me in the right direction as to where i might find some to cut. Im not afraid to spend a whole day driving,finding some trees, locating a landowner, hopefully getting permission, then cutting a few. I wont ask anyone to give me directions to their private stash or anything like that but maybe a general area to begin my search. I heard theres a bunch out west near Pittsburg, and theres also some in and around center County and I would even consider driving that far If I had specifics and could come home with enough staves to be worthwhile. Any help from you Pennsylvania guys would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Pennsylvania Osage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:10:21 pm »
  You need to get in touch with RyanO. He's in your neck of the woods ,I think.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:31 pm »
I'm on the other side of the state Eddie. I cut mine down in the south western corner of the state. Fayete county. Washington county.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:12 am »
I'm in State College a couple hours to your southwest in center of PA.  all the osage I find here is very old, big stuff that hasn't turned out to be very good - high ratio oc early growth wood.  I'd be glad to get in on an expedition.

Dave Rue

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:52:24 pm »
I live near western Pittsburgh. I've have seen none around there. Actually, I've only ever seen one Osage tree aroud here at all- and it's about 4" in diamter (and probably has tight rigns- the thing hasn't gron much since I was little).

We do, however, have tons of Black Locust, Hickory, Elm, and a variety of other second string woods. Even mulberry I've heard. If nothing else, you could cut some and trade them for some of the good stuff from the southern boys, and you'd probabaly have enough for yourself too.