Author Topic: ??? On hickory for a kids bow.  (Read 3105 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
??? On hickory for a kids bow.
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:49 pm »
I have a 1/4 sawn hickory backing strip that is 1/4" thick. I would like to glue a taperd osage lam on the belly that is 2/3rds the length of the hickory to get the thicknes that i will need. The draw length will be 22"  wieght around 35# or so over all lenght around 60" Im just not sure if the hickory will hold up being 1/4 sawn and not having any belly core out at the tips. Has any of you guy's tried this or have any ifo that could help?

Thanks for any help..

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: ??? On hickory for a kids bow.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:34:53 pm »
I have a 1/4 sawn hickory backing strip that is 1/4" thick. I would like to glue a taperd osage lam on the belly that is 2/3rds the length of the hickory to get the thicknes that i will need. The draw length will be 22"  wieght around 35# or so over all lenght around 60" Im just not sure if the hickory will hold up being 1/4 sawn and not having any belly core out at the tips. Has any of you guy's tried this or have any ifo that could help?

Thanks for any help..

I have made dozens of Paddle Bows from Quarter Sawn Hickory....in fact for my paddle Bows....I prefer quarter sawn wood...but not having any Belly wood for 1/6th of each Limb.this isn't going to work at all.....how long is the Quarter Sawn Hickory....and the Osage??? A 48" Bow ...with a bend through the Handle design would work great for that draw Length
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline knightd

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:39:18 pm »
The hickory is 61 the osage 54.. the osage is paper thin at the tips.. If you can build a bow out of 1/4 sawn hickory with no backing and no belly core why would it not work leaving 4"or so with out a belly core? If not is there any other suggestions? I'm going to glue on a non working handle.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:43:09 pm »
Quarter sawn..are you talking Quarter Sawn Grain..or Quarter Inch thick??? Because you cant make a Bow out of a 1/4" of Hickory...if you cut the Hickory down to theLength of the Osage...and glued them up....you may get a descent Bow from it at ..say... 54" .depending on just how thin the Osage is at the Tips......you may have to put Tip Overlays on it too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:48:21 pm »
ooooooor, you could go cut down a tree, dry and split it, and cut out all the worrie!!  ;D

just kidding. i know ya caint always do it right. i got no clue about board bows. good luck anyway.  ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 07:18:22 pm »
Quarter sawn is great for a backing and I think you can make a self bow from quarter sawn if you are carefull. 1/4" is pretty darn thick for a backing.  Sounds more like a hickory limb with a little lamination on the belly.  I think you can get away with what your planning just because it is 35#.  Build it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knightd

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:39:19 pm »
It is alittle thick for a backing. ;D It was the last piece on the board while i was ripping backing strips.Just to narrow to get one more out of it..I went out and planed all the componets on my sander and got them ready to be glued up. I figure at this point it is going to be a experiment to see how much I can get away with.. I think im going to pull a little reflex deflex in it and give it a whirl. I will try and post some pics soon..
  Thanks for the help..