Author Topic: Need pics of the Adaminn-Holmegard bow please.  (Read 2635 times)

Arthur Herrmann

Need pics of the Adaminn-Holmegard bow please.
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:17:16 pm »
I have heard of a bow that shoots very fast-the Adaminn-Holmegard. I have the dimensions of the width, but not the thickness.

I also need to see how it bends, and where it bends.

It would greatly help me to see pics of the bow so I can try it out someday. And I just like looking at the fine work you all make!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Need pics of the Adaminn-Holmegard bow please.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 03:29:57 am »
Arthur,   Just search this site for "Holmgard".  You'll find some fine threads.   There are a cou;ple of competing theories on how to tiller a Holmgard style bow, and finished dimensions will vary widely based on the wood and desired draw weight.  I've only made two so far, so I won't burden you further
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Dustybaer

Re: Need pics of the Adaminn-Holmegard bow please.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:21:07 am »
well, first of all, the name is derived from two different bows.  the holmegaard, a 10,000 year old design named after the area in scandinavia, where it was found and the andaman bow, still in use to my knowledge, named after the andaman islands.  the tiller of the two couldn't differ more, however, both have short but wide working areas of the limbs and very narrow, extended, non working tips, which serve as levers.  tim baker named a style of bow the "andaman-holmegaard" in his chapter of TBB4, where he talks about design and performance.  that's where you'll find pictures and probably dimensions too.