Author Topic: lesson learned  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

lesson learned
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:42:26 pm »
I heat treated the belly on a bow that i had already tillered. Well I started finishing it before rechecking the tiller. Bad Idea. The heat treat must not have been even throughout.  Now The top limb is considerably stouter. I think I'm going to pike the lower limb and make an asymmetrical. Is this the right thing to do? I don't have any weight to lose so I can't just re-tiller. Plz help!!
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:06:48 pm »
i would flex the top limb over my knee to try and loosen it up a bit and heat treat the bottom limb some more,  i wouldnt pike it unless its really needed unless you could pike both ends and then just remove from the top limb.  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:07:46 pm »
Your right, good lesson learned. The quick and easy way to fix it may be to pike the lower limb, the tiller may still not be all that great tho.,
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:17:49 pm »
  I've broke or lifted splinters trying to flex one backwards. Be carefull, especially after heat treating one. It makes them a lot more brittle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:11 pm »
Did you let it sit for a couple days before stringing it up? I have heard the wood usually needs to rehydrate.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:35:14 pm »
I did let it sit for a couple days after heat treating to be safe. Well I piked the lower limb about an inch. Tiller still isn't all that great but it sure does shoot nice. It evened up ok but with the prop twist it has one side looks awful the other fine. It was that way before the problems arose though. It came in at 52lbs. at 28 65'' ntn. It's dogwood that i had to steam the crap out of to get the string to line up. So if nothing else it taught me bout steam and heat treating. Thanks everyone for your input. Maybe one of these days I'll quit makin so many dumb mistakes. 

Thanks,
  Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:03:11 pm »
Wayne, dont expect to be making fewer mistakes. The more I learn, it seems, the more ways I figure out to shoot myself in the foot!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:23:32 am »
 Wayne,  Thats bow making pure and simple. If your not learning lessons your probably not trying new things and gaining experience. I made a mistake on my last bow project and got the string groves a little to far out on the overlays. "Short 58' brush bow" one tip let go at full draw on the tiller. :o