Author Topic: Bamboo/Hickory flatbow  (Read 3942 times)

Far East Archer

Bamboo/Hickory flatbow
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:17:24 am »
Hi mon fellow archers! :)

Ok well here I have made a bamboo backed hickory flatbow (pyramid?) of 47#@26".
It is 62 T/T and has width of 1.5".
This bow is rather interesting in that it is made from an old bow I had made long time ago that had 2.5" of set!!! :o
I'm very happy to not have pictures to show that bow at the moment. ;D
Well, the bow had some belly fractures in the bottom limb, and I couldn't scrape them out so I just made the bow lighter and hoped for best. :P

This bow was glued in with 1.75" reflex and it kept it all until I made hinge in the limb and so while trying to even out it lost most its reflex :'(
Right now it about 1/2" after resting and straight right after unstring. Overall I'm pretty happy the way it come out! :)
Btw, it is wicked fast! Thats with shooting 570 grain arrow so Im hoping for good performance with more proper arrow.

Fulldraw!!!! :)

As you can see, the tiller is off slightly, but I dont intend to fix it because it came out good enough to me. Still need to add more stain coatings, Im trying to hide the unstained tips with my fingers if you didnt notice :D I'll post final pictures later, but enjoy these for now.  ;)

Alex

radius

Re: Bamboo/Hickory flatbow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:53 am »
pretty damn good FEA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:26 am »
Very nice bow. I've tried boo backed hickory with not much success so I can appreciate your bow. \
Simple, clean design!  8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:52 pm »
real nice! how much reflex did you put on her while glueing the bamboo and hickory?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »
You did pretty good. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:39:44 pm »
Beautiful bow :)! The tiller seems fine to me.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:35:03 pm »
The tiller is off? Where? Looks perfect to me. I like bamboo/hickory. The heaviest bow I've tillered so far (80#@29") was a bamboo backed hickory. Nice job!