Author Topic: A learning experience. Tri-lam RD  (Read 4781 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
A learning experience. Tri-lam RD
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »
I'm building a bomb here - literally I think :D. I knew eventually I'd have to try a tri-lam rd bow after watching Ralph Renfroe put one together at OJAM last year. So I ripped out some planks of Hic, and osage - prepped up a peice of boo from Mullet, and a power lam of mesquite. Got my dimension's a little off for starters, and thinking I should have cleaned everything up with acetone before glueing. I also learned that when you mix up a batch of Urac - you better be ready :D ;D. Anywho, after letting it all set up for about 14 hours I took it off the form and cleaned it up. The glue turned loose on me right at the fade on one side, so I dribbled more glue in there and reclamped - I fully expect this one to explode during tillering but of course have more slats spliced up for the second attempt 8).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: A learning experience. Tri-lam RD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:32:46 pm »
couple more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:47:27 pm »
Wear a full face helmet and a cup just in case ;D If your like me Paul its the only way I learn is by my mistakes.
And I make enuf of them ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:51 pm »
You don't know til you try!   Looks like it will make a nice explosion if it does go! ;D 
   Looks pretty good, Paul. Keep us informed. >:D   
   Has the boo backing been tempered or is that the natural or dyed color?  If it has been tempered, you better wear the helmet and cup as Dana suggested. :o Tempering is for bellies only to increase compression strengths. Will cause failures when put under tension.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:28:18 pm »
Ya'll are scarin me - I'm using a long line on the tillering tree ;D. That's the boo's natural color, haven't treated anything - just had em in my stovepipe oven for about two weeks. I will keep ya informed, maybe it'll actually work ::)..

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:50:08 pm »
I think you should be fine...

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »
Cowboy, looks good, your bend in the limb is a little close to the fades and will make it super hard to string the first time. also makes them very fast if they don't explode on you. Steve

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 06:36:25 pm »
I can see one problem already because Ive done the same thing before. You didnt taper the fades on your riser down thin/long enough. It might be ok but I'd recomend you change that on the next one.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 06:46:28 pm »
  I think you'll be alright too. The first one I glued up I forgot to degrease it but the Urac held good. I'd be a little worried about the very dense, oily, Mesquite, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:03 pm »
so far i've found that the extra time it takes to make a really good riser pays off huge.  Hope it goes well for you.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:12 pm »
Thanks all! that's the main thing I noticed was that the riser was too short and didn't taper out gradually enough - think that's why it let go right there. I'll put a little more thought into the next one - hopefully I'll be posting this bow when/if it's finished :).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:35:58 am »
Paul, You want the fades to taper to nothing in a smooth even bend. That area is where most of the stresses in a lam bow are.  Your next one will be way better. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC