Author Topic: Building a kids bow?  (Read 16966 times)

Offline Stonedog

Building a kids bow?
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:28 am »
All-

Two weekends ago....my little boy and I were down at our place at Lake Cumberland in eastern KY.

We were headed over to Wolf Creek Dam to fish and there was a kids bow shoot going on....

So he wanted a turn.....and you guessed it.....

All it took was one arrow and he was hooked.

As soon as he was done...he turned to me and said, "Daddy will you build me a bow like yours!?"

How can I say no!?

So......

How do I go about building a bow os a 4 yr old?

I was thinking of backing it with linen....I have some premium lnatural color linen for that purpose.....

Maybe a redoak board, 40" long or so.....

What specs should I use??? 
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Building a kids bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:07:02 pm »
I've got 2 four-year-old boys (twins) and the bows I make for them are made of small saplings....about 1/2" diameter.  They are about 36" long. I leave the back rounded, and tiller to 7lbs @18" draw.  The arrows are 1/4" diameter and 20" long and fletched with two "peeled" turkey wing feathers (about 3" long) with tips sharpened with a pencil sharpener.  The strings are waxed linen and about 1/16" diameter.

The boys draw the bows to about 16" (or less) and shoot at a range of 6-10 feet.  I've taught them to use a pinch grip and I wrap a bulb of thread just above the nock to help them with this.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »
Make him a maple self bow from a board. Cheap. Easy to make.

radius

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:29:49 am »
adb is right, stone dog...maple is cheap and holds together well on lightweight bows, i have found.  I made a couple maple bows last years from 3/4" boards...violated the grain in every way imaginable...well, not EVERY way...but i drew curves on the back of the board, so that the bow was wavy like a wavy-bladed dagger or a slithering snake...kids loved it...you will love it too, and your bow will love you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:00:54 am »
For kids, I like to tiller a bow out beyond their draw length/weight. That way they can continue to shoot it after their muscles develop and their draw increases..  I'm working on a 52" osage bow that will be donated to"Powder Creek Traditional Archery Shoot and Summer Arrow Search". This bow will be tillered out to 23" or 24".  I haven't decided about weight but 15# to 18# @ 18" draw is a good starting point. That would bring it up to about 35#@24"...and look out neighborhood squirrels. ;D  Before the youngun gets to the 24" max draw it is time to make the next bow...bigger/stronger...and pass the old bow down to the next kid.  8)        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:01:38 am »
Use Osage. ;D  I have a piece about 44' long and a couple inches wide and a piece about 60" long and 1" wide I would be happy to send you if you want it.
  I love to see them little ones properly equipped.
  Just let me know. ;)  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bambule

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:13:45 am »
use Rattan - I build lots of Rattan bows for kids - easy to make, cheap and undestroyable...

Here is a buildalong from Dean Torges:

http://www.bowyersedge.com/kidsbows.html

Greetz

Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
Thanks for the Torges post on rattan bows. I forgot all about them!! Awesome, quick, and cheap.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:46:41 am »
Nice bows (and arrows) bambule  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 12:47:38 pm »
Boards are good, saplings are good and so are small pieces from a stave. I make them them same size the kid. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

jeduffey

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 11:02:54 pm »
I think I have to agree with Dean's rattan kid's bow design.

I would, however, (personal preference), not teach him to pinch the nock. I teach three fingers under, and -always- use a properly sized serving for the nock and good nockset. It has been my experience that kids that are capable of making the Boy Scout salute with their hands are ready to shoot. Otherwise they need to grow a bit. I have taught this to kids from 2.5 years old to 82 years old.

I also use a 1/2" PVC tube, 4" long, with an animal balloon passed through it and ends tied together to teach proper form and release, -before- I put a real bow into the kid's hands.

I have to finish up my new kid style quiver to post for you. I think you'll like it. Check next week.

salad days

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:09:56 pm »
I made a 50 " d bow for my 4 year old daughter out of hickory board leftovers from another bow. Just ripped parallel, narrowed tips alittle and cut in nocks. Tillering took about 20 mins total. Pulls about ten pounds. It actually took longer to make the grip that the whole rest of the bow! Of coarse then she wanted arm guard like mine, Ok no problem. Then quiver, uhh litter tougher but will try. Then three finger glove, then pink arrows, now she wants her whole bow pink and all the other stuff I arleady made pink. ???
Gotta love em. Shes up for anything, as long as its pink. ;D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:04 am »
Dang, I thought I had a pink problem....my daughters are satisfied with pink arrow cresting.  (Thank goodness)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas