Author Topic: Silk back to counter act set?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Silk back to counter act set?
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »
I am in the process of redoing the finish and handle area on the Virgin Hickory. I won't go into why I'm redoing it in this posting but my qustions is if I heat the hickory into a little bit of reflex and then while its on the form, back it with silk, will the silk be strong enough to help hold some of the reflex or would I have to use a stronger back like boo or another piece of hickory?  Also another question is will it up my poundage any or change tiller?  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Silk back to counter act set?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:32:05 pm »
No, silk won't do that job. The only one that may is sinew. i don't think I would use sinew on that bow. Never did a wood backing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:08 pm »
Silk will not Up your Poundage or change your Tiller....it also will not help at all in decreasing the Set....if you put the Silk on while the Wood is held in Reflex....when drawn ....it will either stretch...or if already pulled taught....it may rip........a Wood Backing would be the only way to go....but would be  allot of work on a Finished Bow....you would have to plane the Back flat and smooth....glue it up in Perry Reflex...and then go back through the whole Tillering Process again.....I myself ....would live with the Set....as long as it shoots good.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:44:52 pm »
You are probabley right El Destructo. I should probabely just finish up the handle changes and get off dead center and start on another one.  Thanks   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:07 pm »
Adding a hickory or boo backing to a bow that has string follow can add more stress to an already stressed belly, causing more set.  Your best option would be to figure out why it took set in the first place and try to avoid that in the future.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:00:23 am »
Yep, less work to just make an other bow ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:13 am »
before you back it here is what i would do, it has worked well for me a few times.   
1. sand the finish off the bow
2. use dry heat to bend some reflex right at the handle and then again where the set took place.
3. heat treat the belly, i heat until it just starts to brown, (get it as even as you can)
4. wait 1 full day for all the heat to escape the wood
5. should only require i slight re tiller job

i think you may have good luck with this method, as said it has saved the day for me before.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive