Author Topic: Siouxbow replica  (Read 14112 times)

a finnish native

Re: Siouxbow replica
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:23 am »
well, the bow is behind a glass and you can see some other artifacts in there also, so it's definitely from a museum. you can also see the flash of the camera on the galss.

Offline uwe

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 01:51:31 pm »
News of it! I´Ve done the backing yesterdayeve. I wrapped it to get a smoother surface, unwrapped it today and had a first look on it. Seems to get okay. Í`ll make a picture of it later and will bring it next time to you. Now its stored in my workshop for another day and then I`ll hang it into the wind.

Offline uwe

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 09:12:35 am »
Now its finished. See some pics. First bracing. Details of sinewbacking. Unbraced pics. And finally the wrappings of sinew to secure the backing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 09:20:12 am »
For this little bows of 112,5 cm length I chose a drawweight of about 32 " at 20" which throws an arrow about 150 yds. Its a little more comfortable shooting with this drawweight, because the bows stacks the longer the draw gets.
I didn`t make a grip of another material, because the shown bow in Jim Hamms and Steve Allelys book does not haveone a epecial grip.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:52:19 am »
Very nice. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 12:03:10 pm »
Well Done - Sitting Bull  and Crazy Horse would be proud of you.
Great candidate for July Self BOM
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline xin

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:47 pm »
Very well  executed bow. I've been making several similiar bows myself lately.  Haven't tried the sinew backing yet.  These bows have a special beauty in their simplicity.  Congratulations!!!!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »
good job friend! thats great cast for such a low draw weight! deffinately something to be proud of.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 02:46:39 am »
    nice job there uwe,

i never liked pretty bows,plain and functional is what i like.  that my friend is plain and looks very functionable. great job  keep up the great work

she may not be the prettiest gal at the ball, but i bet when she starts dancing she turns alot of heads ;D

peace brother,
                                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 02:54:30 pm »
Great job Uwe, your bow turned out great! I've always wanted to make one of these myself and I think this one will inspire me to get started on it.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline uwe

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:52 pm »
Thank you all!
@ woodlandrunner: it will be worth a try. I`m amazed about the performance of this bow. It was a rest of Osage lying in my workshop which had nearly the dimensions. Then I traded some sinews with "Mullet" for TBB I and I had the material for this bow. Add some time and hidelue and you`ll have a nice littöe bow.
Does anyone about the original drawweights of such bows?

Offline xin

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 04:16:22 pm »
Uwe,  I've only been able to ovserve them in museums and it is very hard to judge their draw weight, especially given their short length.  Photographs from  the nineteenth century show Indian archers using the pinch method for drawing the bow and holding the arrow.  I think it would be difficult to draw a heavy bow using this method, especially from horseback.  Also , I think a heavy bow would not be necessary because the shots at buffalo were from less than 5 yards, probably only 2 or 3.  Somebody is undoubtedly going to point out that mongol archers used heavy bows from horseback;however, these were war bows not hunting bows.  I'm going to make a guess that the majority ofthe plains bows were in the 40 to 50 pound range.  I emphasize it is just a guess.   

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:21 pm »
uwe now that you have that nice sinew souix replicate bow done . you shall send it to me in Missourri.
 good lookin bow nice job
                                 Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:12 am »
Very nice bow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

DBernier

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 04:54:04 am »
Nice job UWE. The question of "weight" on these NA bows has been around for some time. In the mid 70's I had a plains bow, allegedly Cheyenne, that had a similar profile but with recurved curved tips on it. It had a sinew string and was sinew backed. Before we knew better,  :o   it was tillered to 24". It was 42# at 24". It was in a Buffalo hide quiver. Remnants of the arrow case were still on the bottom of the quiver. I will try and locate a photo of it. (found "kinda" one). The bow now resides in a private collection in Colorado. The other items in the photos are a plains Indian "skinning set" two knives in a dual beaded sheath. The shirt is a "war shirt", Lakota Sioux" about 1870's. It had eight "scalp" locks on it, four front, four in the back. The other photo is the gold and silver Bowie knife that was on display at the 76 blade show in Chicago. This is an old scan and just a bit of trivia.

Dick