Author Topic: Arrow Balance  (Read 4049 times)

Phillip K

Arrow Balance
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:48:51 pm »
How did the primitives balance their Arrows? Meaning How much heavier would the tip be compared to the nock end barring in mind the length of the Arrow.
 Spineing without Mechanical Devices.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:27:24 am by Phillip K »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Arrow Balance
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »
From what I've seen, those who still practice ancient methods don't worry about the difference in weight from from tip to nock.  They worry about matching the weight of one arrow to another.  They don't worry about spine....seems the weight (of the bare shaft) is a fairly good indicator of spine.  I can vouch for this from personal experience.

After making many arrows, you just get the "feel" for the spine anyway.  I imagine after 1000+ arrows, the professional arrowmaker of the ancient world could make a matched set arrows with his eyes closed (i.e., matched to the bow and to eachother).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Phillip K

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:03:16 pm »
Thanks Patrick, I see what you mean. I took one of my metal pointed arrows that shoots the Best and Matched to this Arrow Exept The bone is Lighter,was thinking of putting a piece of zink rod behind the Bone point. I attatched the Bone with Pitch, wrapped with Sinew and Hide glued.PK

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:12:51 pm »
Your bone-tipped arrow looks good....I wouldn't mess with it.  Just make another one that matches your steel-tipped arrow.

You can use your lightweight, bone-tipped arrow for long distance shooting. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:26:49 am »
Determine FOC:

To find the FOC (which is always expressed as a percentage) divide the overall length by two.
This should produce the physical center of the shaft.
Now subtract this number from the balance point and divide by the overall length. Multiply
by 100 to express the fractional value as a percentage.
Most expert archers agree that an FOC value that is between 7 and 10 percent will produce the best
 compromise between stability and a flat trajectory. The American Society for Testing and Materials,
 in their specification for measuring balance point, state that a value of 9% is typical. But,
 they also state that the range can be as wide as 7% to 18% while still producing
good arrow flight characteristics.

Arrow Balance
     It has been proven that arrows that are seven to ten percent nose heavy shoot the most accurate.
To test this, first, balance a hunting arrow complete with broad head across your index finger.
 Mark the exact balance point. Find the exact middle of the arrow and measure the distance between these
 two points to the nearest eighth inch.

To prove this theory we will show this using a thirty inch arrow as an example.

Lets say the balance point is three inches away from the center. This is at the ten percent point.
(The ten percent point is obtained by dividing the three inches by the
thirty inches. 3 / 30 = .10. (10 percent)).

If this same calculation was done and the difference between the balance point and the center of the
arrow was three and a half inches the arrow would not be balanced properly. This is proven by dividing the
 3.5 / 30 = .116 (11.6 percent). In this case the arrow is too nose heavy.

If this same calculation was done and the difference was two inches again the arrow would not be balanced
properly. This again is proven by dividing the 2 / 30 = .16(6 percent). In this case the arrow is too nose light.

The best option for someone who is not sure how to properly balance an arrow is to enlist the help
or assistance of an expert. This will only help in assuring a successful hunt.

But then I like learnin the Easier way, By feel, sure helped on a couple arrow that were to long and the points were to light.Phillip